Conclusion Of An Age review by Sylosis

• Released: Oct 28, 2008
Sylosis: Conclusion Of An Age

Sylosis are an english metal band whose sound has been described under genres such metalcore, prog metal and death metal. They definetely take elements form all of these styles but I think there genre overall would mostly likely be progressive thrash. In Conclusion Of An Age, you can hear many genres of metal, and influences, which would mainly come form older metal bands, with slayer certainly being one of them.Certain aspects of the Sylosis 'formula' could be thought of as old school: the band use standard turning on every song and downt play breakdowns, which are often repetitively heard in metalcore. The album is packed with heavy but catchy riffs and lots of memorable melodies. The best song on this album in my opinion is 'Teras' due to the main riff which runs through the song and the technical solo, which displays many techniques and shows off guitarist(and now vocalist) Josh Middletons abilities as a player, but doesn't drag on too long. The title track and 'Reflections Through Fire' are also two more exceptional songs.

Conclusion of an Age isnt a concept album as such but many of the songs seem to relate to the theme of an apocalyptic event and the death of the planet with lyrics such as 'the nations crumbling to ash'(Teras) and 'oceans will rise, erasing all we know'(Withered). The music definetely fits the dark lyrics, although occasionaly there are more uplifting moments. Vocalist Jamie Grahams' performance is very strong throughout, mainly staying to death metal style growls but also showing a more melodic and powerful singing voice in the choruses of some songs which makes Sylosis stand out form other bands.

Overall I would say Conclusion Of an Age is near perfect album which doesn't fit into any one specific metal genre, whcih is part of the bands appeal. There are prog, thrash, melodeath and hardcore elements to the general sound, which makes this a fresh and exciting album in todays metal scene. Every song is worth listening to and anyone who is looking for a metal band that plays heavy, catchy, original and melodic metal should look no further than Sylosis. I think these guys could definetely be one of the top metal bands around in a few years time if they continue to make albums like this. Get it in your collection.

huggies1989
    Cronuka : honestly i think thats sylosis is like more of a as i lay dying and trivum mix. ---to me they sound like metalcore =/
    Trivium isn't metalcore and they sound nothing at all like Sylosis