The Supreme Oppressor review by Sylosis

• Released: Feb 18, 2008
Sylosis: The Supreme Oppressor

Sylosis started out in Reading as a death metal band with a healthy dose of retro/thrash influences. The dual guitars are there, the solos are plenty and the chugging riffs in no short supply. In a scene full of metalcore bands hanging on to coattails, Sylosis are doing something different from the crowd. The breakdowns are replaced with solos that would turn heads of even the most begrudging Slayer fan. The double bass drums add furor to the onslaught and the album is relentless, slowing down only once for 'Silence from Those in the Sky'.

The vocal style is varied, ranging form higher pitched screams and lower growls. The clean vocals complement the aggressive, growled vocals giving melodic phases similar to melodeath bands such as Scar Symmetry. The lyrics themselves although largely indiscernible are aggressive and are suited perfectly to the scythe of the two guitars. They are typically in the metalcore way of lyrics, which include 'I have no choice but to fight' in the song 'Turbulence'. The vocals take much from the new school of death metal, while being heavily influenced by proto-death/thrash bands such as Testament. This gives rise to a varied performance, meaning some people will be in favour of the melodic breaks (far and few between in this record) or the lower scream/growls, which are all too frequent.

Prepare to have your neck muscles savaged and your eardrums blasted by a band that does it's influences justice. Not liking to be pigeonholed, they don't necessarily fit the new scene aesthetic or adhere fully to being a revival band. Purists will find themselves disappointed with the lack of the revival thrash sound and scene kids will not be able to appreciate the dual guitar harmonies and the sound of thrash metal legends, which have been distilled for a modern day sound without attempting to grab a portion of the 'New wave of American heavy metal' market.

ianl
    i like sylosis, though i dont know if id buy and album by them my friends band played with them the other night though!
    x Misanthropy x
    i recommend this album if you want super catchy metal riffs and melodic everything! i saw them weeks ago in london, and bought this ep at the show,all the riffs , solos amazing,! i defo recommend
    McTome
    My friend's band 'A Fear Most Fatal' recently done a gig with them. They were really excited about playing in the same set as Sylosis. Who wouldn't be? They are ****ing awesome.
    McTome
    My friend's band 'A Fear Most Fatal' recently got to share the stage with Sylosis. They were proper excited about it. Who wouldn't be? They are ****ing awesome.
    tommyt
    got this cd about a month back, i loved it, these guys reminded me somewhat of a younger (and a bit more technical) trivium guitar wise.
    padgea7x
    I love this band.....too much. I haven't had the chance to see them yet though I'd recommend this album for any metal fan, or guitar fan
    DanRocks3000
    unreal live, so much energy, the entire room was exploding. conclusion of an age destroys