In Paradisum review by Symfonia

• Released: Mar 23, 2011
  • Reviewer's score: 5.3 Decent
Symfonia: In Paradisum

Symfonia is a power metal supergroup formed in 2010 by ex members from Angra (Andre Matos - vocals), Stratovarius (Timo Tolkki - guitar), Evergrey (Jari Kainulainen - bass), Sonata Arctica (Mikko Hrkin - keyboards) and Helloween (Uli Kusch - drums). Quite an impressive roster to say the least, but how does it sound? The answer is: It sounds like Stratovarius. Tolkki seems to have been one of the creative powers in this project. The guitars and the keyboards sound like they come straight from the recording session of the "Visions"-album, so there are no suprises on this album. Tolkki is a very talented guitarist but he does not deliver anything new. I'm a huge fan of Uli Kuschs drumming, I can listen to Masterplan's aeronautics CD just for the drumsound. Sadly this time the drums are badly mixed and lacks the power and attitude from Kuschs earlier work.

The lyrics of this CD is quite alright. It has all the classic power metal lyrics that I love. It doesn't have to make sense, be cool or have a profound meaning. It's all tributes to the good and condemnation to the bad with some references to far away places (Santiago). Andre Matos is a highly regarded vocalist who participates in a lot of projects and I can't stand him. He hits notes perfectly well but he does not know how to articulate so in my ears it sounds mostly like wailing. However it doesn't really ruin everything on the record and when he goes into the lower notes it actually sounds quite pleasant.

This album offers nothing new, it's generic power metal that we've heard before. Been there, done that, got the t-shirt to prove it. High lights are: "Santiago", "Fields Of Avalon" and "Pilgrim Road". This mediocre album deserves a listening but it will be soon forgotten.

17thmoon
    I don't agree with your rating, because it takes talent to play like they do. Sure it may sound similar to other stuff, but I think they are great musicians that can do very well! I think they sound great! It seems like this is trolling rather than a review!