Iconoclast review by Symphony X

• Released: Jun 17, 2011
Symphony X: Iconoclast

Four years is a fairly huge gap for an active band to create an album, but when you're one of the biggest progressive metal acts in the world, you really REALLY don't want to rush things. So you can imagine that the follow up to the fabulous "Paradise Lost" should be fairly amazing. And indeed it is. As an example, first track "Iconoclast" greats us with some sporadic, dark and head-twisting riffery that most definitely sets the sound of the album. Its very typically followed up by some typical Symphony X style epic choral/string arrangements, but these are huge, very very atmospheric symphonics, properly mixed to sound like an orchestra. Although having less punch and urgency than the opener to "Paradise Lost", the main focus is the huge sweeping chorus with no less than 7 or 8 layered vocal tracks for emphasis and also music maestro Russell Allen's insanely high register vocals (he's upped his game on this one). Another defining feature of the song is the 2 minute guitar/keyboard solo that drops it into a 6/4 groove, ready to do some face-melting and jaw-dropping. "Iconoclast" is Symph-X's way of upping the ante, the sound is noticeably darker, especially the guitar riffs and the continued use of dissonance throughout the album, but it always stays true to their sound and they've sacrificed some speed for breathing space, which basically means MORE GROOVES. One thing this album does not lack in is grooves, ranging from prog-rock style 4/4-3/4 mindbenders to fist pounding outros, my personal favourite being the intro to "Dehumanized". And lets not forget melody, there's been no skimping on the sauce, so to speak. There's masses of sexy interplay between the keys and guitar, the vocals highlight the harmonies perfectly and the "wall" of symphonics can never be ignored, not that you'd want to anyway.

Russell Allen is one of the most respected metal vocalists of the past 20 years, and its very easy to see why. Despite the extensive career they've had, he still has the flame of passion in his voice, like he really puts feeling into his lyrical meanings. As mentioned, on "Iconoclast" he spreads his range more and more (ewww) between high and low, sometimes singing in a cleaner and smoother approach in some softer sections of the album in a more Gothic approach but still keeping his gruff but clear voice in top form. Lyrically, "Iconoclast" is a little bit more of a cynical album, themes including oppression, enslavement, and hopelessness stemming from our evolution of machines are the main focus. Although the lyrics are perhaps a teeny bit clich, Russell works them into the tracks perfectly, just enough so that you can tell this is new album territory for them.

Symphony X have delivered the goods with much enthusiasm, although I'm personally concerned that their next release might take even longer to complete! Not their best album, but far from the worst, its good ol' Symphony X that we know and love. Just don't get confused about the digital deluxe version and the regular album version, there's this huge kerfuffle about some songs being on one and not the other and its fairly annoying, best bet is to get the deluxe edition. Songs to look out for: "Iconoclast", "Dehumanizer", "Bastards Of The Machine", "Children Of The Faceless God", "Electric Messiah", "Prometheus (I Am Alive)" (a song which reminds me a lot of OSI with Mike Portnoy), "When All Is Lost".

theogonia777
    Raven_Flight
    I was just listening to the cd 002. Seriously, it's so bizarre how they shared the songs in the deluxe edition. Well, blame it on Nuclear Blast It seems that Symphony X is running out of candies, I can't recall any other of their albums that has f***ed my ears like this one. The riffing is heavy as hell and Russell... what can we say about Russell? Saw them live last week for the first time and it was breathtaking As soon as I heard "Dehumanized" and "End of Innocence" live I knew I had to buy the album. It was totally worth it!
    maximumrocker
    Loved the album Still waiting for my physical copy in the mail Some of the songs names are weak, as well as the some songs are weak. But over all i enjoy the record a lot! Cant wait to see these guys again live
    damillion
    Didn't like it too much. The last album seemed much better to me. This is Paradise Lost weaker brother. Just my humble opinion of course. There were a few good tracks though. The opener was killer!
    Flibo
    I didn't really like it. I prefer their early stuff. The songs were a little too straightforward and I really didn't like the choruses.
    BillR87
    Loving the album so far ae listening to it currently "Bastards Of The Machine" is my fave so far
    EpiExplorer
    Everyone's a lil' gay, roflz.
    test1cles
    EpiExplorer wrote: theogonia777 wrote: i think Epi's review was a bit better. he's always firm but fair with his reviews, calls it like it is. the second one just seemed like a total fanboy's review. though Epi, i was tempted to stop after you used the word "fabulous" in the first paragraph. Everyone's a lil' gay, roflz.
    At least you didn't write fabulistic.
    Loki_37