Paradise Lost review by Symphony X

• Released: Jun 21, 2007
Symphony X: Paradise Lost

When I first heard of Symphony X, I immediately knew I was going to like their music. Truth be told, I heard them first on this album. I heard the song "Eve of Seduction" in a video and I wanted to check the album out. I bought it very soon, and I was impressed quickly just by the packaging of the album and the artwork, but that's not the point right now. Symphony X is a band that sounds unlike any other. Sure there are other progressive metal bands, but Symphony X not only does bring in a symphonic quality to their work, but all the band members use the utmost of their skill in each and every song. I am reminded of a sort of fusion between the instrumental work of Dream Theater and other progressive bands and the vocals and guitarwork of thrash metal's greatest like Metallica and Megadeth. However, make no mistake that Symphony X has both a unique sound and a sound you will love.

Symphony X doesn't have the greatest lyrics of all time, but the vocalist has a powerful voice perfect for the band's music, and the choruses if nothing else of the songs are always catchy. I am especially reminded of the songs "Set the World on Fire", "Paradise Lost", and "Serpent's Kiss" in the field of songs with great choruses.

Paradise Lost is a great album by a great band. I've heard a little of their other work, and I must say that the songs on this CD are still amongst the greatest of what I've heard. I only hesitate at the threshold of ignorance to say that this is the greatest album ever issued by Symphony X. If the album were stolen from me or lost, I believe I would buy another copy of it, though I have the album on my mp3 player. It's truly a cool album just to own. The packaging is unique and is full of great art, so it's definitely a good idea to physically own. I think what I love most about this album, though, is that in a time of mainly generic and pointless mainstream music (in the honest opinion of this reviewer), Symphony X, though under the radar, is producing amazing music.

Surveyor
    All reviews I have read praise Allen's vocals on this album, and on songs like "Set the world on Fire" and "Seven" they are very appropriate. but to abandon his distinctive 'swoon-worthy' song in favor of the almost generic 'metal' voice on a song like "Sacrifice" just doesn't seem right. And in the few parts on the album where he does, well, sing , they pile on an extra layer of...digital crap, and the authenticity found on DWoT is lost, without even mentioning the almost soulless delivery of the chourus of "Paradise Lost". Remember "Candlelight Fantasia"? That's Russell.
    .mem-brane.
    that first review i think was right about the guitar tone.. listen to the solo's in revelation. its a little blurred less clea\r than it could be, and id rather pin that down to bad tone than bad playing, simply because i wouldnt like to believe it of romeo!
    Symphonicmind
    My favourite symphonyx's album! 10/10 At first, I was a bit disappointed at how they made the sound more aggressive. But someone here is right, they still keep their own sound. each day I listen to this album, I love it more. Thanks Symphony X, Thanks Romeo!!!
    tazmanz
    This album is by far their best effort. Cohesive, focused, on a mission (accomplished), heavy, progressive, epic... This is their 'Train of Thought' (Dream Theater) as far as I'm concerned.