The Odyssey review by Symphony X

• Released: Nov 5, 2002
Symphony X: The Odyssey

This album is jam-packed with excellent riffs and superb soloing. Though nothing is truly new or completely original about the sound, there is no question that each song on the album has music and musical performances that are never boring.

My one problem with the album is the lyrics, which is a big deal considering there are no instrumental songs. I cringe and writhe at some of the extremely cheesy lyrics here. I only give it lyrics a 3 because the lyrics are still written fairly well, and they do a nice job of portraying Homer's epic "The Odyssey" in the title track as well as Edgar Allen Poe's "The Pit and the Pendulum" in the track called "King of Terrors". However, other tracks all share some cheesy story about how he journeyed to some mountain and stopped at some ancient ruin. Hearing "I will fight! Will you?" in "Accolade II" is far more annoying than anything. As a listener, cheesy lyrics like these have me sort of left out from what is supposed to be happening and above all un-interested.

Though I am not fond of the lyrics, I can get past them (and enjoy them on a few occassions) when the skills of the bands are presented in the manner that they are on this album. The music is highly enjoyable whether or not the lyrics are bothersome. I would recommend this album to someone who already has a large collection of music otherwise, especially Dream Theater. After hearing the song "A Change of Seasons" by Dream Theater, you will realize that "The Odyssey" on this CD does not even come close to ACOS's genius.