The Odyssey review by Symphony X

• Released: Nov 5, 2002
Symphony X: The Odyssey

Wow, I had heard some Symphony X songs prior to hearing this album, but damn this one is truly a rare kind of album to find. Symphony X seems to be one of the few bands where all of the members are extremely talented and perform flawlessly. The guitars & keyboards have always been my favourite part of this band, but the bass & drums are quite interesting as well. And of course, the singer has a very powerful voice too! Never before has a neo-classical progressive metal album sounded so full to me. Every song (of which there are 8) is awesome. Furthermore, the title track is a 24-minute opus that's actually very easy to listen to all the way through (on account of its progressive nature). Overall, the sound of this album is very characteristic of Symphony X, except super-charged! This is very easily their best effort yet.

Russel Allen is an extremely talented singer. His climax in "Wicked" is totally mind-blowing. Lots of range, style and feeling in his voice and timbre are really the best words to describe him. He really seems to get better and better and The Odyssey makes it really evident. I'm having a hard time trying to come up with a more talented singer within not only the progressive genre, but the metal genre as well. His chemistry with Symphony X is definitely a part of their sound that's as crucial as Michael Romeo's guitar or Michael Pinnella's keyboard sections in my opinion.

The Odyssey is my personal favourite Symphony X album to date. Furthermore, I believe that Symphony X is the leading band in the progressive genre (alongside Adagio who also worth checking out). My personal favourites off of this album are the 24-minute epic title track, "Wicked", "King Of Terrors" & "Inferno (Unleash The Fire)". But the rest of the tunes are far from filler songs. Especially other anthems like "Awakenings" or "Incantations Of The Apprentice." Honestly, there is nothing to dislike from this album, and if it were ever stolen, I'd definitely get it again (or kick some ass to get it back).

dtfan119
    the writing is solid, the production is very well done, and russell allen is one of the finest vocalists ever. combine that with the writing of pinella and romeo and you are on to something great...