Hypnotize review by System of a Down

• Released: Nov 22, 2005
  • Users' score: 8.8 (1,157 votes)
System of a Down: Hypnotize

Nearly 4 years after 2001's highly successful "Toxicity" and 3 years after "Steal this Album!" System Of A Down release the first part of what should have been a double album. That first part as we all know is Mesmerize. A album with mixed reactions and without a doubt their most mainstream album yet. Some say SOAD has sold out. I say this is nonsense. System Of A Down has always been political, have always been crazy, and have made songs with some very off the wall lyrics. The only thing that has changed is Darron's entry into singing. one that I personally think is a great addition. More than 6 months later we recieve Hyptonize with much anticipation. To all SOAD fans you can breath better knowing that Hyptonize is much heavier than Mesmerize. The sound is superb whether it's the heavy, chill out, or crazy songs. The album is composed of SOAD's standard nu-metal sound, but experiments with different guitar influences, even funk in one song. SOAD always pull off an amazing sound and this album is no exception.

The lyrics are a mixed bag on this album. At times they are very intellegent and at other times very dumb too. But it's not really a distraction since most of the songs sound so great and catchy. SOAD is a parody band in a way so these lyrics are designed in such a matter to make fun of society and politicians. As always Serj has an awesome voice and even Darron is impressive at times.

Hypnotize is a great album and is much better in every way than Mesmerize. But how does it compare to Toxicity and the rest of the albums? The album is nearly on par with Toxicity but not as good as the Self Titled LP. The only bad thing I can say about the album is that sometimes it has some weak and very stupid lyrics. Then again this is SOAD and they've always had some songs like this. Also Darron's vocals are sometimes a little too squeaky for my tastes. Over all this album is great though. It's heavy, melodic, and there's great songs for any mood whether your angry, goofy, or just in a chilling type mood. Despite the nu-metal meltdown, SOAD has survived and still remains one of the most original and greatest bands of their generation. Here's my impressions on the songs: 01. Attack - very heavy song gets you right into the album. Very political song may not please everyone 10/10. 02. Dreaming - no let up here another heavy song, even more so than Attack. Drumming is superb on the song 10/10. 03. Kill Rock And Roll - lyrics are rather dumb, but is a catchy decent song. Darrons voice is a little annoying on this song 6/10. 04. Hypnotize - the lead single for the album is a song to chill to. It's a good song and the vocals are very well done 8/10. 05. Stealing Society - moderately heavy song and pretty catchy 8/10. 06. Tentative - sounds like an old Toxcity song, good heavy song 9/10. 07. U-Fig - great song reminds me of War! off the self-titled LP 9/10. 08. Holy Mountains - good song full of harmonies and great vocals. Another chill song 10/10. 09. Vicinity Of Obsenity - absolutely crazy, funny as hell song. It has bad lyrics but the song is so catchy and funny you can't help but love it. Guitar even sounds funky like the Red Hot Chili Peppers at times. Definately a stand out 10/10. 10. She's Like Heroin - another crazy song that's almost as hilarious as the last song. Again bad lyrics but it's so catchy and great it doesn't even matter 9/10. 11. Lonely Day - another song to chill out to that sounds great but has some terrible lyrics 7/10. 12. Soldier Side - a great ballad and great way to close the album. Connects with intro from Mesmerize 10/10.