Hypnotize review by System of a Down

• Released: Nov 22, 2005
  • Users' score: 8.8 (1,157 votes)
System of a Down: Hypnotize

All I can say is wow. The second part of the Mezmerize/Hypnotize double pack is probably the best album of the year, and is certainly the best they have ever released. So good. Their music is always innovative and pushing new boundaries, but no album pushes those boundaries as much as Hypnotize. The boundary does not exist to them anymore. This album is darker and heavier than their last release, but they do still have some songs on there that tickle your funny bone too. Trust me, metal doesn't get much better than this.

Lyrically this is amazing. Hard hitting, meaningful lyrics go surprisingly well with silly, amusing ones. Tentative, for examble, boasts the solemn lines "Where do you expect us to go when the bombs fall?" and "No ones gonna save us now," while Vicinity Of Obscenity blasts "Banana Terracotta Pie" and "Do we all learn defeat from the horse with bad feet?" Brilliant. I don't see why so many people complain about the fact that Daron sings more on this record. I think his voice compliments the songs he sings on very well. Sometimes his voice can irritate at times, but most of the time it is good. It is at the expense of a lot of the singing Serj used to do, but he still sings a lot and his voice is a good as ever. There is only one problem: on the song Lonely Day Daron sings the lyrics "It's the most lonliest day of my life." That's just bad grammar. But this album has the best lyrics ever written by SOAD.

01. Attack - power metal riff, light guitar verse, heavy chorus, great combinations, great song 9/10. 02. Dreaming - I (shotgunjoe, my account is screwed) have written a tab for this song on here as it is one of my favourites on the album, and I love the bridge 10/10. 03. Kill Rock N' Roll - this song was recorded at BDO 2005, but it does not compare to the studio version. Daron and Serj harmonize perfecty here 9/10. 04. Hypnotize - I could never really get into this song. It just wasn't SOAD style, but this time it wasn't in a good way. Too light for me, and if you've seen the video, you will know it doesn't help the song. Worst on the album 6/10. 05. Stealing Society - best intro ever! The rest of the song slips a bit I'll admit, but not by much at all. Doesn't dissapoint 9/10. 06. Tentative - one of the best on the album. A heavy verse and chorus compliment the mellow bridge, which is amazingly beautiful 10/10. 07. U-Fig - I like it, but a lot of the changes are too sudden. I love the little guitar bit in the middle, and that chord at the end is the best way to end a song ever 8/10. 08. Holy Mountains - this is a beautiful song. Longest one on the album, and very well written. I also wrote a tab for it 10/10. 09. Vicinity Of Obscenity - another favourite. The most random, goes to a funk beat once in a while, what great lyrics 10/10. 10. Shes Like Heroin - pretty good, as someone else said though, it's a bit dry, and quite hard to get into. The chorus is pretty good, "Ass! Selling ass for heroin..." 8/10. 11. Lonely Day - my absolute fave. Such a great guitar riff, the lyrics "The most lonliest day of my life" are cringingly wrong! The fastest solo ever on a SOAD song, which is great. Ends on the siren that ended Soldier Side Intro on Mezmerize 11/10. 12. Soldier Side - a masterpiece, I could not think of a better way to end this massive project. I have just submitted a tab for this, it also ends on the same note that ended the Soldier Side Intro 10/10.