Hypnotize review by System of a Down

• Released: Nov 22, 2005
  • Reviewer's score: 2 Junky
  • Users' score: 8.8 (1,157 votes)
System of a Down: Hypnotize

The sound of this album is terrible ill-concieved. It sounds like the four of them wrote their parts in separate rooms without talking to each other, and then threw it all together without re-working anying. The vocals in this album are more off-the-walls than maybe even their debut, but not in the awesome way they tend to do. It just seems hollow, like there's no decent musicianship to support their lovely weirdness.

"It's the lonelist day of my life," 'nuff said. If this is serious, it's pathetic. If this is a parody, it excecuted so poorly that all the humor is lost.

System used to be good. The overative phrase being 'used to'. I'd say this sounds like a B-Sides comp. but Steal This Album was just that, and sounded nicer, and retained more continuity the Hypnotize ever will. I'd like to pass it off as a separate effort, not at all connected with Mezmerise, but this my friends, is not the case. The really killer is the redone version of the Soldier Side Intro, expect now its a full blows, god-aweful song. They killed it! Having seen them live in august, and being able to attest to the pure badass that was Daron Malakian opening the set with soldier side, behind an enormous silouhetted curtain, this was like a stab in the face. Do not buy this. It is a pittiful excuse for music! Take this from one of the biggest System fans, this is shit!