Hypnotize review by System of a Down

• Released: Nov 22, 2005
  • Users' score: 8.8 (1,157 votes)
System of a Down: Hypnotize

Those of you who got the email from SOAD about Hypnotize being on mtv. com's "The Leak" page were lucky enough to see a glorious occasion. System's new album was all there. From Attack to Soldier Side, all the songs were there. Which forced me to think up a review for this amazing album. System's first half of the album, Mesmerize was 11 tracks of strange, messed up, and all out System of a Down styled tunes. It differs alot from many of their older tracks, but it's still the same band. And, let's face. Every single one of there albums sounded different. That's just the way they are. Forever changing. Hypnotize fits in perfectly with the first half. I know all the reviewers and such were all saying that, which usually makes it relatively not true. But it is this time which scares me. Okay, I'm not going into the whole review each song separately thing. Screw that. That takes too long, and I don't have another 465849023hours to be on this thing. I'm just gonna do it in general. The CD had great sound. If you liked Mesmerize, you'll like Hypnotize more than that. Hypnotize definitely passes Mesmerize even though they're the same album whatever. The sound is great, like I said. It's melodic, loud, and powerful. Everything a successful Metal band needs. Well, if you have loud, you're generally good to go. Melodic and Powerful are just bonuses. Whatever. Every song is powerful. Not necessarily loud all the way through, but it doesn't have to be. To point out a few songs from the CD: Lonely Day, Attack, Dreaming, Soldier Side, and Vicinity of Obscenity were my favs. Attack is the first track on the CD, so it gives me the overall assurance that it's a good CD. I wasn't worried, it just does that. I always like the first track anyways. Dreaming's vocals were amazing, and were generally so loud you couldn't even here the rest of the music. It was definitely an awesome track. Vicinity of Obscenity was definitely a good track. Their talks of banana's and terracotta pie bring us back to a more classic sounding System. Lonely Day just plain rawked. there's no need to explain it, and Soldier side finished off the intro from Mesmerize. Definitely a very melodic song and it really relates to the intro on Mesmerize well, duh.

Definitely good lyrics. Well, actually, I can't give a good review for this part, because seeing as the CD hasn't been released the Lyrics page isn't up on the main page yet. But what I heard was. Well, SOAD. They still song about the same ol' stuff they used to, and they still manage to keep it original. What? Did you expect them to turn out like Nickelback; completely without a decently original song? Not likely.

The CD is definitely played out well, and, again, it perfectly matches Mesmerize. Perfect match, perfect album overall. I love it. I don't usually rate things 10/10, but I can make an exception for two things: Sum 41, and System Of A Down. Keep rocking' guys!