Hypnotize review by System of a Down

• Released: Nov 22, 2005
  • Reviewer's score: 5.7 Decent
  • Users' score: 8.8 (1,157 votes)
System of a Down: Hypnotize

System Of A Down has been a fairly popular band ever since Toxicity was released, and as far as I'm concerned, Toxicity will always be System's best work. Hypnotize, as Mesmerize did, completely let me down. The typical System sound, with lyrics that are totally lacking the genius that they once held within. Daron still sings, which is unfortunate, as he seems to boggle down Serj's vocals.

This is where this album fails for me. It's lyrical content is totally lacking the depth and style they once had on albums like Toxicity and Steal this album! The lyrics fit the music fine, but Serj and Daron can clearly write much better than this. The skills are apparent, as Serj has the definite talent. Daron's singing, on the other hand, is extremely annoying. I have a hard time listening to the new System.

This album doesn't stand up to some other fantastic albums that have been released this year, Coheed And Cambria's new album is mind blowing. Thrice's Vheissu is also fantastic, and full of lyrics that will make you think. I liked the fact that it was System of a down, because I really love these guys. I hated the fact that it wasn't a very impressive album, just as Mesmerize wasn't. If this album were stolen I would be too busy listening to Coheed And Cambria's Good Apollo, I'm Burning Star IV Volume one: From Fear Through The Eyes Of Madness to even give a damn.