Hypnotize review by System of a Down

• Released: Nov 22, 2005
  • Users' score: 8.8 (1,157 votes)
System of a Down: Hypnotize

System Of A Down has moved to their old musical sound, almost. They have heavier guitar riffs than in Mezmerize, but also some softer parts than in Mezmerize or Steal This Album! John Dolmayan (drummer) has moved from the usual drum pattern (the hihat slur) he used in most songs for Mezmerize. Shavo Odadjian's (bassisst) bass isn't very noticable but when it is, I love it. It fits right into the song. Serj Tankian (singer) has a voice that can't compare to any other (in my opinion). Daron Malakian's guitar work my not be the best in solos but he sure can come up with awesome riffs. His voice is heard more in Mezmerize and Hypnotize. I like Daron's voice when it harmonizes with Serj's and SOAD managed to do just this. Sumtimes, Daron sings by himself but in a way that his voice fits right in. System Of A Down has a very unique sound. They don't fit into the everyday rock. They fuse heavy metal, alternative, nu metal, greek music, middle eastern and folk instruments, and a poppy funky sound (vicintiy of obscenity verse) into songs that are sumtimes funny and sumtimes serious or both. The only thing is that sumtimes the guitar can just sound the same.

System Of A Down's lyrics are amazing. They can turn lines that don't rhyme into catches. Daron Malakian and Serj Tankian can turn the oddest lines into something hilarious or serious. Sometimes their lyrics don't make sense so that you can make them your own. This is wat I like about system. Their lyrics fit the sound of the music. If the song is soft, the lyrics are soft, and it sounds good. If the music is hard, the lyrics are hard. Serj and Daron harmonize their voices in just the right way to make things fit right.

System of a Down can't compare to any other band. They can't it in any category. The are always changin their sound. The best songs depend on what you like in a piece of music. Best songs: Lonely Day, She's Like Heroin, Vicinity Of Obscenity, Soldier Side, Stealing Society and U-Fig. I love everything about the CD and the way it fits with Mezmerize (musically and physically). I hate the way that sumtimes (not all the time) the guitar parts almost sound the same. If it were stolen or lost, I'm 100% sure that I would buy it again. Heck, I mite even just get the dual disc version even though I have the normal one. Get this CD!