Hypnotize review by System of a Down

• Released: Nov 22, 2005
  • Users' score: 8.8 (1,157 votes)
System of a Down: Hypnotize

I started listening to SOAD between Toxicity and Steal This Album and loved them. I got everything by them I could get my hands on. Then Mezmerize came out. That album dissapointed me. It seemed to have changed completely from the SOAD I had listened to before. Hypnotize makes up for it in every way. Filled with that feeling of rocking out but chilling that I have only heard from SOAD is recreated with this album. Also that weird squealing crazyness is back too. By releasing this new album I think that System has reattained their old sound. Darron, in my opinion, sings very well and has a nice voice that goes with the style of the music though sometimes he doesn't harmonise well with Serj.

For the most part the lyrics are extremely good but, there are a few exceptions. Lonely Day is a good example of this: "Such a lonely day should be banned," "The most lonelest day of my life," "Such a lonely day shouldn't exist." This is pretty bad but they make up for it with other lyrics and good music. Well, like I said for the most part the lyrics are written well. They have the complication that the tipical System songs do, that way of saying something stupid out loud but meaning something serious and as always Serj's singing is really good. Darron could work at it a little.

My overall impression is that this is a really good album. I most like the title track. It is one of those songs that makes you want to head bang and cry at the same time. I do complain about the length of the songs. None of the System Of A Down CDs have ever been really long but these last two have been really short. I would really like one of their CDs to last a little longer.