Hypnotize review by System of a Down

• Released: Nov 22, 2005
  • Users' score: 8.8 (1,157 votes)
System of a Down: Hypnotize

System Of A Down released Hypnotize/Mezmerize, apparently, to introduce listeners to their new sound. Hypnotize is not as heavy an album as Mezmerize, as it has much less distortion, and Daron Malakian uses less palm muting. Malakian has also broken away from strictly power chored, and has started using the higher strings more than on albums such as "System Of A Down" and "Steal This Album!" All in all, it is a much calmer CD that Mezmerize, and previos records. SOAD fuses multiple genres in different songs, combining metal and pop punk, a bit of mainstream hip hop, and some techno, and (as always) Armenian folk music.

As always, System of a Down has managed to make us laugh when telling us of the horrors of the world. Songs like "Kill Rock 'N' Roll" ("So I felt like a total asshole, when I killed your rock and roll, mow down the sexy people! ) deliver a message in a fairly lighthearted way. This half of the Mezmerize/Hypnotize double album deals much more with war, with only a few songs, ("Vicinity of Obscenity," to name one) that don't. System of a Down also completes the first track of "Mezmerize" (Soldier Side intro) with the last track of "Hypnotize" (Solder Side). The song's haunting lyrics about young people going off to war, never to return. It has an old message with a powerful new delivery.

This is an album that is much more "MTV friendly," as it is less aggressive, with less "attack the government!" kind of songs. I, personally, prefer albums such as "System Of A Down" and "Toxicity," because of the heavier sound, but many people would disagree. I'd recommend this CD to anyone who's just getting into metal, or even to a long-time metal listener.