Hypnotize review by System of a Down

• Released: Nov 22, 2005
  • Users' score: 8.8 (1,157 votes)
System of a Down: Hypnotize

The sound on this album was very good. It was somewhat mellower than in previous albums, but that's not necessarily a bad thing. I'll give it a song-by-song review: 01. Attack - very good song 8/10. 02. Dreaming - this could be the best on the album. Combination of headbanging and mellow music 10/10. 03. Kill Rock 'n' Roll - pretty good. Weird rhythms in parts 7/10. 04. Hypnotize - very good song. Sounds more like rock than nu-metal 8/10. 05. Stealing Society - good, but very repetitive 6/10. 06. Tentative - really good. Headbangers' delight 9/10. 07. U-Fig - really weird. Some good parts 5/10. 08. Holy Mountains - very good. If I saw this live, everyone would sing along, especially that "Liar! Killer! Demon!" part 9/10. 09. Vicinity Of Obscenity - really, really weird, not really very good 3/10. 10. She's Like Heroin - this song is so weird I can't figure out why I like it so much 9/10. 11. Lonely Day - kinda boring. Plus, Malakian says "The most lonliest day." Bad grammar alert! 12. Soldier Side - excellent follow-up to soldier side on Mezmerize 9/10.

The lyrics were generally really weird. It's like they're all all of a sudden on LSD or sumptin. I liked the ones on mezmerize more. They fit well with the music though. It's really cool how Malakian and Serj sing together. They're both so good.

Compared to other albums, it's good. Mezmerize was a bit better, but this is still very worth buying. The best songs are Dreaming, Hypnotize, Tentative, Holy Mountains, and Soldier Side. Pretty much the only thing that detracts from the album is that is was weird. Very strange all round. Even so, given the choice again I'd buy like twenty copies of this.