Hypnotize review by System of a Down

• Released: Nov 22, 2005
  • Users' score: 8.8 (1,158 votes)
System of a Down: Hypnotize

A long time ago, in my house. I was watchin Kkkerrang TV. My mate had been going on about the new System Of A Down single "BYOB." I was waiting for it then it finally came on. After being blown out of my seat and into a different world of music I decided to buy Mesmerize. At first I thought why did I bother, but soon got a addicted. And listened to it at least once a day otherwise I would break down. I loved it so much but in its infancy the idea of a second album to follow was not known and I felt that System Of A Down had not put in a good enough effort for 4 years work. But the new album soon was the only thing in my life I cared about getting. Using my grannies christmas money I got the album and straightaway listened to it in the car. Headbanging all the way home. The intro to Attack just is nuts, and the way it is cut off by beautiful singing is simply divine. True SOAD style, reminding me of the classic album Toxicity (which I got soon after Mesmerize). The rest of the songs follow suit, Hypnotize is a nice break from the madness of tracks 1-3. Then the madness continues through tracks 5-7. Then track 8 blows your mind. Tracks 9 and 10 give you more dose of madness. Singing about prostitutes drugs and even terecotta pie! Then track 11 plods on a little, but the ending reminds you of the time you heard the end of the soldiers side intro, and now you enter the soldier side song itself. The ending sounds like the beginning of Mesmerize. Quite a choker actually. Brilliant and powerful. Making the two albums start and finish in the same place. A brilliant and well executed project, its going to be a long 3 years without them.

They are at times very powerful and political. "Attack all the homes and villages, schools and hospitals." Wonder what that is talking about? "Where do you expect us to go when the bombs fall down." The Lyrics for Holy Mountain are extremly powerful and beautifully poetic. Other times though the lyrics are purposefully drugged up nonsense, such as "Banana banana banana terecotta... banana banana banana terecotta pie." Why the hell? What the hell? But you have a laugh. I mean why do we learn defeat from whores with bad feet? Good fun and catchy jingles just go together beautifully. Sometimes though, the lyrics are just a bit rubbish. For example "Such a lonely day and its mine... the most lonliest day of my life" Most lonliest? Most lonley, or lonliest, nothing in between. But most of the time, they are political, beautiful or just plain nuts. Gives lots of variety.

I will answer the questions in the guidlines. this year has seen some of the greatest rock bands bringing out new and better stuff. To list a few: Rammstein, Foo fighters, Audioslave, Him, Nickelback, Bullet For My Valentine. But System Of A Down, for me have made 2005 the best year for Rock ever. They continue to dazzle, surprise and never lose their mystery. And, coming from someone who owns all their albums, I think Toxicity might be going into 2nd place in the best album race. But maybe that is a bit too bold a statement. The most impressive songs on the album are definitley: Attack - awesome intro, angry lyrics, great rock; Kill Rock And Roll - where part of the song is pure headbanging heaven; Hypnotize - a song that builds, gathers pace and climaxes beautifully; Holy Mountains - angry, poetic and epic all in one go; Soldier Side - gives you a lump in your throat, "Why oh why did this have to end?" I love the fact this album at first listen is awesome, but not complete. Then several 10's of listens later you have it in the bag, and you love it even more. It is not a chore, but a joy to explore, and even then you will not know it all. I don't hate anything, just my least favourite song is Loneley Day, only because of its position on the CD, you have geared yourself after several mental songs and epic tracks, then you sort of a get a chilling out song. But it does present the last song with a strong foundation. If it were stolen, well I would go straight to the shop to get it back, and report the criminal to the Police for stealing a VIP, very important present. My Grannie got me this. Bet she would love it.