Hypnotize review by System of a Down

• Released: Nov 22, 2005
  • Users' score: 8.8 (1,157 votes)
System of a Down: Hypnotize

This new album takes anything system has done before, mashes it all together, throws it in a blender, drops a few steroids in, and serves it up in a nice CD case, fitting with the other half, Mezmerize. Starting with Attack, a fast, heavy song, with a soothing verse, very reminiscent of parts of BYOB mixed with one of their slow ballads, such as spiders. The album ends with a completed reprise of Soldier Side, in my opinion, their strongest song written. With a nice clean sounding beginning, this song transfers between a power ballad of sorts, a beautifully harmonized chorus, and the finale to end all finales, the reprise of "Welcome to the soldier side," done with some of the heavyest distortion I've heard come from daron in a while. Beautifully done.

Each song on this CD has a different message, wheather it be the government fearing "The day when we attack," the whole american society "Just sitting in their car" waiting for somebody else to take care of their problems, or just simply, a "Lonely Day" this CD it probably one of their more versatile.

if this Cd were stolen, I would run out the next day and buy it, because this CD is something that every rock guitarist needs in their collection. I felt like such a nerd, the second I walked out of the store with this cd, I grabbed my guitar, detuned it to Db, and learned half the CD.