Hypnotize review by System of a Down

• Released: Nov 22, 2005
  • Users' score: 8.8 (1,158 votes)
System of a Down: Hypnotize

They're back at their best, with short, catchy songs like Hypnotize and Soldier Side to songs like Dreaming and Stealing Society that are on the verge of anthemic and the plain bizzare like Vicinity Of Obscenity this album has averything that made System great and more.

Daron's really singing properly in this album, in the previous albums I noticed he sang a bit flat on some songs, but he's spot on on this album. The lyrics are typically System, with the thought provoking (Soldier Side - 'They were crying when their sons left. God is wearing black') to the stoned-out-of-their-heads (vicinity of Obscenity - 'bananna bananna bananna teracotta bananna terracotta terracotta pie')

As alwas with System, it's different from their other work, but a cut above most of the other stuff you hear. The only song that let it down was Vicinity of Obscenity, it doesnt have any partcularly rocky parts, but it's not the kind of song you would put on if you wanted to relax or concentrate on something else. The standout tracks are Dreaming, Stealing Society, Tenative and Soldier Side. I wouldn't mind so much if the CD was lost or stolen because I've saved it onto my computer, but if I hadn't done that and I lost it or it was stilen I'd be pretty pissed off. It's definately worth getting, like most records, it makes an impression first time you listen to it, then grows on you as listen to it more.