Hypnotize review by System of a Down

• Released: Nov 22, 2005
  • Users' score: 8.8 (1,157 votes)
System of a Down: Hypnotize

The band's sound is a completely unique mixture of different things. They really have a knack at creating catchy tunes that are both strange, likeable, and just great to listen to. The heavy guitar and bass, backed with the rhythmic beat of the drums (especially in the song Hypnotize) is easy to fall into, and combined with their melodic vocals and screams, they definately fall under my favourites. We can agree their style is both aggressivly and intellegently written, and definately does some pissing off of yon neighbors.

The lyrics are a mixture of Queen and Politics, not to mention that tolerable swirl of blood, sex, and booze which is displayed in a hardcore manner, yet is made to seem almost irrelevant with comical statements, melodic quotes and the overall impression of System of a Down's careless style and melodic frame of mind. The music is almost written in the viewpoint of a foreigner, and may or may not have to do with the fact the band is completly armenian? The music and the lyrics fit well together. Sarcastic and in your face is the style of their work. Daron and their lead singer (their names are so damn hard to remember) work well with one another, bouncing melodies and harmonies off the other, and still keeping pitch, time, and most important-sustaining their notes.

They remind me most of Queen, because of their sarcastic lyrics and (as I said) In-Your face views of the world. Their lyrics are almost punk, in the matter they are putting down American authority, but they are honorable in their manner, as they seem to be able to back their opinions openly and logically. Some of the songs I was most impressed with were Soldier Side, Hypnotize, and Holy Mountain. Soldier Side deals with war through the eyes of the Soldiers and their families. It details the pains they both face, and the loneliness the soldiers must feel while so far from their countries, families, and all they know. Hypnotize is said by Daron to simply be about him waiting in his car for his girl, but there are also other references throughout the song. They talk about the poorer countries specifically tiennamen square in China, where they address the minds of the residents. They aren't there to shop and keep up with the latest fasions, but they were forced, and need the food to survive. It may also have to do with the massacre that happened there but China makes most of the material things we use, like clothes and crap, and we buy it but they receive no profit. "Propaganda made you buy it." It's just an overall good song and I can't help but sing along to it. I love this album because of combined reasons you just read, and I can't say there's really anything I hate about it. I would definately buy this album again if it were to be stolen or lost. It is definatly one of my favourites, and along with Mesmerize, I just might survive the rest of my life.