Hypnotize review by System of a Down

• Released: Nov 22, 2005
  • Users' score: 8.8 (1,157 votes)
System of a Down: Hypnotize

The sound is excellent. Malakian has his own style of guitar playing and that is the fast riffs. System Of A Down are a good band because they have created there own style of music and no other band will be able to recreate it. It is unique to System Of A Down and will always be. As for the artwork, it was created by Daron Malakian's father. The idea of joining Mezmerize and Hypnotize together was a great idea. The only downside is that it could have more songs. I think a essential extra would be a live DVD. That would really show how System Of A Down really play.

Some people say that System of a Down's lyrics are random. But judging from past interviews with Malakian, he writes about his emotions. For example, in the song Tentative, it says, "where do you expect us to go when the bombs fall." This implies that Malakian is talking about terrorists on the US. There are two singers. Serj Tankian, the lead singer and Daron Malakian the secondary singer. Both have excellent voices. They are both melodic singers, Malakian being the more melodic singer. The only downside is that they should go back to old-style lyrics, like the ones in Toxicity.

Comparing it to other albums, it certainly is a contender. The music, singers, lyrics are second to none. Finishing off Soldier Side was a great idea. Compared to albums like Slipknot's Slipknot album, it doesn't quite match up to it because Slipknot is still a classic in my opinion. Songs that stand out are Kill Rock 'n' Roll, Tentative and Holy Mountains. If it was stolen, I would most certainly buy another copy! Absolutely brilliant!