Hypnotize review by System of a Down

• Released: Nov 22, 2005
  • Users' score: 8.8 (1,157 votes)
System of a Down: Hypnotize

I already was a great fan of System Of A Down, and I am maybe an even bigger fan after I had heard their new album: Hypnotize. A few years ago, when I heard System Of a Down for the first time, I didn't even like it, but I lend the CD (Toxicity) from a friend. I listened it a few times, and I began to like it. I bought it myself and I became a bigger fan every day. A month later I also bought the first album, and after that I bought all their new albums the day after they were released. Toxicity, is in my opinion their best album. It has a big variation of songs, all songs are different. With their newer cds this is less, which is a pitty, but anyway I still like them. I also went to their concert, which was great! I bought Hypnotize the day after the release in the Netherlands (somewhere in november I think). After I had listened to it once, I thought it wasn't very special. But I listened it more and more, and now I think it is special. I bought the cd with dvd on the otherside. Everybody says that the dvd is messy, and not nice because of that. I agree that it is messy, but I still like it. It's just fun to watch. The difference in price with dvd and without dvd was just 1 euro, so I think the money isn't thrown away. As I already said, I know think the cd is special. The sound is a bit like Mezmerize (they also belong together, so logical), but very different then Toxicity, the Self-titled or Steal This Album! My favourite songs are Kill Rock 'N' Roll and Dreaming, and there is no song which I don't like.

I think that their lyrics are good, I don't agree with everything they say, but they have an opinion, and they really use it in their lyrics. Not like: I love you this, I love you that. I'm Dutch, so I do not understand everything they say. I did some research, but not of everything. The ones I totally understand are most of them now. I agree also with most of them, but not all. This doesn't really matter to me, because it's not that important. If it sounds good, and it does, then I don't mind. I think the singer has good skills, he sings from hard to soft, high low etc. Not one kind of voice all the time. I do think that he sings too fast sometimes, so it's hard to understand, or to follow if you want to sing allong.

I think System of a Down is very alternitive, so you can't compare it to other artists/bands. The most impressive songs on the album is Soldier Side, it's not my favourite, but the lyrics are good, and I also agree with the lyrics. I think this is their best album except for Toxicity, which is perfect. If it was lost/stolen I know for sure that I would buy it again. I like it very much, and am just a big System of a Down fan. I want all their cds, so I'm sure I would buy it again.