Hypnotize review by System of a Down

• Released: Nov 22, 2005
  • Users' score: 8.8 (1,158 votes)
System of a Down: Hypnotize

I have always freakin loved SOAD. They were the first metal band I ever listened to way back when and they put on an amzing show. Mezmerize/Hypnotize is by far their best work. I prefer Hypnotize. It is heavier than Mezmerize, and some tracks remind me of their older stuff. The sound quality is great as usual. Serj sings more, but there is still a big Daron presence, not a bad thing.

The lyrics are typical SOAD. Daron and Serj are brilliant, and crazy. By crazy I mean stuff like "We're the prophetic generation of bottled water" and "Bannana bannana bannana terricotta pie" (I have no idea what terricotta pie is).

Here's my review track by track: 01. Attack - one of the heaviest songs on the album. Very awsome. Alot like old SOAD. 02. Dreaming - weird. Awesome but weird. The verse is three different parts overdubbing eachother. 03. Kill Rock N' Roll - I saw this one live. Awesome song. The bridge is a little boring but overall awsome. 04. Hypnotize - first single and wow song. Very catchy and tight. Daron has a cool bouzouki solo in the middle (if you don't know what a bouzouki is than you obviously need to meet more greeks). 05. Stealing Society - one of the lighter songs on the album. Has a riff that reminds me of Needles from Toxicity. Serj talks about blue skies and suns in the beginning, and then the song take a massive turn and Daron starts singing about gettin high and stuff. Awesome. 06. Tentative - this is most definetly a wow song. Very political and great. Awesome interlude. 07. U-Fig - the first time I heard this song, I jumped. It starts off quiet and somewhat mellow, and then explodes into insanely heavy/political, twice. Wow, too short though. 08. Holy Mountains - wow! The longest SOAD song I've heard even though it's not that long (a little over 5 min). It's kind of like Aerials except much much darker. 09. Vicinity Of Obscenity - wow. Quite possibly the funniest song ever. It is way better than Cigaro. I fell out of my chair laughing during this one. 10. She's Like Heroine - not a hilarious song, but kinda funny. Reminds me of Greek dances. It's a definite awesome. 11. Lonley Day - worst song on the album, which is not saying much. It's borderline awesome only because of the extremely tight solo. It's their failed attempt at being serious/emo. 12. Soldier Side - the worst song on the album fades into the greatest song on the album/that System's ever done in my opinion. It ties the albums together brilliantly. I usually do not get chills during songs, except for this one. The lyrics are extremely powerful and everything about this song is perfect, definetly worth the six month wait. It ends with the end riff to Soldier Side - Intro, but is played higher on the neck. Wow, perfect album closer. Overall amazing CD. It's kinda depressing at the end because its over. Can't wait for the next one, but it'll probably a long wait though. If it were stolen I would buy again within an hour. Then I would find the sorry sob that took it and to quote Russell Peters (funniest guy ever), "somebody gonna get a hurt real bad."