Hypnotize review by System of a Down

• Released: Nov 22, 2005
  • Users' score: 8.8 (1,157 votes)
System of a Down: Hypnotize

System Of A Down is nothing short of one of today's finest musical groups. Putting them in a genre is a challenge of themselves. Are they metal, rock, progressive? Or does it really matter? System Of A Down is simply great music and can suit the tastes of many. The production value on this CD is very well done. All the instruments and harmonies simultaneously seem to shine. Their sound on this album seems to really come out more than any other album. System ranges from hardcore metal, to standard hard rock, traditional eastern styles of music, and they always seem to add some surprise in every song. Every track truly stands out and could easily stand alone as a single.

Daron and Serj are nothing short of incredible songwriters. They both contributed to the music and lyrics on this album. Their new releases really show what this duo can do, and how much they need to keep doing it. The theme of lyrics fits the music perfectly. Their songs range from drugs, to sex, to war, and yet, all their songs seem to have some deeper meaning. Daron and Serj's voice seem to have been made for each other. They sing and harmonize beautifully on every track.

This album has been put into my CD player and played all the way through more times than I can count. It's one of my favorite albums off all time. All the tracks stand out in their own way. They've all been my favorite at one point or another. If this album was stolen, I would go out and buy another one that very day.

:Revenga:
    Sitting here, I think... what has happened to System of a Down... What happened to the perfection they had achieved with Toxicity after showing that even their B-Sides were awesome with Steal This? What happened to their almost tribal like theme they had going? Now what is it? Long black trench coats all round, songs titled "Lonely Day" with the ryhming skills of my five year old cousin and an over cocky guitarist trying to take over the vocalists main job? I used to love SOAD, because they had something that was there's but now... I don't know, it just seems so less spectacular. Mesmerize had me happy for a while, and the tour was quite good, but the general reception of Hypnotize by a crowd who used to be SOAD fanatics was just "Oh, its out? Might get it this weekend if I have enough...". Im, not going to say they've sold out allthough I think thats the general impression, but for an ending comment, I must say the've gone down the shitter with this album.
    nirvana4lf
    this album is better than mezmerize in some ways, except for lonely day. that song is the worst song soad ever wrote. its pretty disappointing... soad wasnt made for this, they were made for rambunctious crazy heavy metal like the first 3 albums. this just isnt them...