Hypnotize review by System of a Down

• Released: Nov 22, 2005
  • Users' score: 8.8 (1,157 votes)
System of a Down: Hypnotize

When I first bought this album I made sure to listen to Mezmerize before I listened to Hypnotize. What I found out was something completly unexpected. I figured it would sound close to Mezmerize (in a way it does) but after listening to this album countless numbers of times the sounds just blew me away. Everything from the guitar to the singing, it all meshes together in a way I've never heard before. The sound of this album is truly one of the most mind-blowing experiences I've ever put my ears through.

With this album the first thing I noticed in the lyrics compared to Mezmerize and other past System records was that it seemed like a whole new direction. It kind of made me feel like they weren't making as much of a political statement as they usually do. Don't get me wrong the statements are still most definitely there. As for Serj and Daron's singing, it all blends in very well. System Of A Down is in a genre of music all alone one of which the likes of knowone can copy.

It took me awhile to figure out which album was better, this one or Mezmerize. I listened to this album about 10 times or so until it really started to hit me. This album is absolutely a piece of work, and is System's best to date. From begining to end you will not be disapointed. I don't think I've ever listened to a album as much as I have with this one. Truly an epic masterpiece.

sk8tin4life
    i can understand if u like vincinity of obscenity but its definently not the best song. i like soldier side and dreaming. the lyrics on soldier side are the best soad has ever writen. but this album does not even compare to tocicity
    Noremorse96
    I thought this was a sad ass showing of System Of A Down. U fig blew so did shes like heroin. Vicinity of obscenity i thought was awful and dreaming would have ben a good song only for the intro and that 1st guitar and singing part besides that the chorus is awesome. Seems like with dreaming they tried to capture the same feel as deer dance but failed horribly. I liked mesmerize and thought it was awesome but hypnotize wasn't nothing but a fall from grace for the System. This CD however had its gems such as kill rock and roll and stealing society. The title track wasn't to bad ether. But some one up there said u fig the best song on the record i couldn't even get through the song i thought it was that awful. B4 any one thinks i am hating on them cuz i don't like them are wrong SOAD are an awesome band one of my faves just thought this album fell a lil flat.
    J C
    humpacow6 : to the s@*! faces who believe lonely day, kill rock and roll, and Darons singing suck may all burn in hell.
    Amen. Lonely Day is an absolute piece of shit with some of the most childish and crappy lyrics ever that have come from System. Tentative and Vicinity of Obscenity have to be the best songs on this album.
    mosh_rocker2006
    :Revenga: : Sitting here, I think... what has happened to System of a Down... What happened to the perfection they had achieved with Toxicity after showing that even their B-Sides were awesome with Steal This? What happened to their almost tribal like theme they had going? Now what is it? Long black trench coats all round, songs titled "Lonely Day" with the ryhming skills of my five year old cousin and an over cocky guitarist trying to take over the vocalists main job? I used to love SOAD, because they had something that was there's but now... I don't know, it just seems so less spectacular. Mesmerize had me happy for a while, and the tour was quite good, but the general reception of Hypnotize by a crowd who used to be SOAD fanatics was just "Oh, its out? Might get it this weekend if I have enough...". Im, not going to say they've sold out allthough I think thats the general impression, but for an ending comment, I must say the've gone down the shitter with this album Yeah you need to go listen to some Britney Spears...your comment sucked
    dutchi
    i dont know what u ppl like but i reckon hypnotize is awesome. sure there are the worse songs but there are also some good ones. What about Dreaming, Tentative, Holy Mountains and Soldier Side. Vicinity of Obscenity is awesome 2. I think both Serj and Daron singing at the same time was a good idea. I like the hard verses and da softer choruses. i think this is definately soads best album and youve probably judged the album before listening too it. I think lonely day is a ballad thats gone wrong with one good bit and an excellent guitar solo. Attack is a pretty good song but fails to go beyond. Dreaming is clearly the best song. It is awesome. I think even the last few guys could get drawn to it. the only difference it may have to some of the old steal this album and toxicity stuff is that it is a little bit better. i think soad has actually gone forward and not backwards. i like their new stuff betta than their old, but hey i no some of u will disagree.
    Pidgequin
    I love SOAD, and i would never dis on them. Daron is a great guitarist, but maybe he should let Serj do most of the singing instead of taking up entire songs. Daron could try just backgroud and some of the screaming, but otherwise lay off the mic. It also sucks that the band is going on a hiatus after Ozzfest.