Hypnotize review by System of a Down

• Released: Nov 22, 2005
  • Users' score: 8.8 (1,158 votes)
System of a Down: Hypnotize

The sound on this album is pure genious I have not heard anything like this album ever. The guitar on this album is absolutely amazing especially in the solo for "Lonely Day" where it starts off soft then the really fast paced tapping and another cool guitar song is Dreaming because of the amazing intro Daron does on it. The drums on this are superb, System of A Down have one of the Earths greatest drummers ever. The bass on this album is also really nice with fast paced beats and slow beats in some songs. So this album was actually a really good sounding album.

The lyrics on this album are well there is actually no way to describe the lyrics actually. Some lyrics can be as funny as hell, some can be emotional and some can be just regular things happening everywhere these days. I think that Serj is a musical genious when it comes to songwriting.

This album cannot compare to any other artist because I have never, ever in my whole life heard anything like this album. I dont have a favorite song on this album because all of the songs are just purely insane in their own way. I love everything about this album and I hate nothing absolutely nothing about this album. If this album were lost/stolen I would defenitely get one right away.

grungehead27
    xcrunner1 wrote : My review of SOAD's career... System of a Down: 8/10 Toxicity: 10/10 Steal this Album: 9/10 Mezmerize/Hypnotize: 4/10 (shit music from great band)
    ^absolutely right! toxicity was an incredible album
    00guitarist00
    did anyone else hear the lyrics daron substituted for the song lonely day during ozzfest? "such a lonely day, hanging out with this band/ this mother****er i cant stand." this was a major blow to me. i dont think its a hiatus. i think they're actually breaking up.
    00guitarist00
    xcrunner1 wrote: My review of SOAD's career... System of a Down: 8/10 Toxicity: 10/10 Steal this Album: 9/10 Mezmerize/Hypnotize: 4/10 (shit music from great band)
    bull****. i think mezmerize/ hypnotize deserves an 8. its just some of the songs on hypnotize that ruined it.
    HeatHen
    Hypnotize completes the Mezmerize/Hypnotize record better way that any record would have completed. I think Mezmerize/Hypnotize is as great album as Toxicity, one of the best records ever made. Mezmerize part is more metallic record and Hypnotize is more Pop/Rock type of album. Every song is so different on these albums but they are still so Soad . Mezme/Hypno is the best record experience ever, but Toxicity is the best album ever made
    HeatHen
    And by the way... Soad is for people that listen to many types of music. It is not strange that sum people (like xcrunner1) dont like Mezme/Hypno because they just like more metal music and stuff. Mezmerize/Hypnotize is more wider music experience, its not just metal and rock.
    nostiQ
    People just don't understand that SOAD has it's own unique sound that is not confined to a specific genre. Appreciate the sound for how unique it is. I'm a big metal fan myself, and admittedly, I prefer older System, but by no means does that mean that new SOAD is bad. In fact, the new SOAD cds are probably better than most shit that had come out in 2005. Besides, classification by genre is pointless and naive nowadays, considering the fact that a lot of the main traditional genres (ie metal) have splintered off into many subgenres (nu-metal, heavy metal, emo metal, alternative metal). Since when did classification matter anyway? I don't listen to a band and say "wow, this shit sounds good! what genre are they? oh, this group of people calls it nu-emo metal, the newest crap genre. i will stop listening to this band now, even tho i liked them before." It's aggrevatin' to see these metal heads sayin' "oh em gee, SOAD has gone soft. sold out. gay. lame. weak. soad sux now." The System band members themselves (namely Daron) stress that they don't really consider themselves to be a part of a specific genre. System is probably one of the hardest bands to classify in terms of genre. Accept it, deal with it. APPRECIATE THE SOUNDZ! ;D Sorry for the long post. I was bored :p
    Ingsoc
    As much as I like this album and it's counterpart, they pale in comparison to Toxicity and the self titled album. 3 or 4 songs on this CD are powerful but I also get a sense of alot of filler present here too. The first 6 or so tracks are easily forgettable, sans Hypnotize. The gems of the album are the finale to Soldier Side, Stealing Society, U-Fig and Hypnotize. Lonely Day is yet another deviation from the norm, but if you are well aquainted with SOAD's work you will find similar songs like Roulette and Lost in Hollywood much more satisfying in every way. Good album but in the scope of the titanic hair raising sounds of SOAD it's not that great.
    burritos2
    god what happened to SOAD they used to be so good now there horrible i know they sold out
    Bass Reaper
    Conpletely agree with you.I think that darrons voice is really annoying in a few songs but other than that the albums perfect!