Hypnotize review by System of a Down

• Released: Nov 22, 2005
  • Reviewer's score: 4.3 Poor
  • Users' score: 8.8 (1,157 votes)
System of a Down: Hypnotize

One of my friends actually bought this CD. we used to listen to it all the time. the sound is great, at first. after I heard some real SOAD stuff, this ablum sounded like crap. this album is all in dropped C# instead of the usual dropped C. this is an OK album but it lacks the original SOAD feel. Some songs, like Attack, sound more like SOAD but overall this album lacks the heavy sound that put SOAD on the map.

Daran's lyrics in this album are just plain stupid most of the time. "Eat all the grass that you want, accidents happen in the dark." what the hell is that? Serj does a great job singing, when he does. Daran pretty much took over this album and killed it. He has a horrible voice and he shows it off. SOAD has always been known for their meaningful lyrics. that ends in this album.

This album sounds almost nothing like the first 3 that System came out with. Attack sounds almost like the old SOAD but not quite. Dreaming sounds fresh and new, which makes up for the drastic changes to their sound. Kill Rock and Roll just plain sounds like crap. the lyrics are pointless and Daran's voice hurts my ears. Hypnotize is a very simple song with 2 or 3 parts to it. Again, uninspired lyrics and crappy tone. Stealing Society changes sound halfway through but still sounds horrible. Tentative is probably my favorite song on this album. It has about the same sound as Sad Statue off of Mezmerize. U-Fig is another stupid song. Holy Mountains is just like Aerials off Toxicity. Vicinity of Obscenity is stupid but sounds okay. She's Like Heroin is the worst, stupidest song on this album. Lonely Day is okay, but it has dumb lyrics. Soldier Side strays from SOAD tones but it is a great song. Overall, this album did not impress me.

InsomniaRocks
    Darkspear
    u just dont know whut melody is then. Like : dreaming, Holy mountains, Soldier side while stile very heavy in the riffs or songs like attack, tentative. While still being crazy : stealign society, u - fig. I mean If u dont like it, DOnt listen to it, But its a great work of originality.
    huevosplash
    the consensus of most people on this ablum is that it wasn't like SoAD's first three albums. i can guarantee you that the people that state this as their reason for hating Mezmirize/Hypnotize would have probably still hated this album because it sounds "generic" or "they lost their creativity". it seems like people can't create their own original reasons for distaste and just go with what the herd is saying. if you did post something that wasn't a copy and paste comment of hatred towards this album, then don't pay any mind to what i just posted.
    whack-a-bass
    there was one thing that abselutely cracks me up from Lonely Day The most loneliest day of my life rofl
    -metalhead-
    whack-a-bass wrote: there was one thing that abselutely cracks me up from Lonely Day rofl?? thats real metal dude...who cares about a little mistake like that...the song is friggin masterpiece!!! The most loneliest day of my life rofl
    -metalhead-
    last comment ****ed up...what i ment tto say was that firstly: whack-a-bass is a total geek and second: The songs a masterpiece!.
    -metalhead-
    InsomniaRocks wrote: Damn..I really don't understand why people love Hypnotize so much...it isnt a steming pile of crap, but it just is not as good as their old stuff. Contrary to popular opinion, I think their first album is potentially their best, Peephole, Know, Sugar, Soil...nothing else that they've made since sounds the same, and Steal this Album is good as well. Toxicity: not nearly as great as people like to think imo. I liked Mesmerize quite a bit as well. Hypnotize just feels totally different from their past stuff...in a bad way. (Although I'll admit that I do like Vicinity of Obscenity and Kill Rock and Roll)
    Bullshit. everything they do is great
    LAKI
    THEY WROTE THE MOST LONELIEST DAY,BECOUSE IT`S STUPID TO SING THE LONELIEST DAY OF MY LIFE.IT DO NOT SOUND!!!!
    jfsj123
    for ur info WOW GUITARIST SOAD CONSIST MANY DIFFERENT TYPES OF GENRES but are recognized as an alt metal band so f***k u
    -metalhead-
    yeah soad selling out because they keep playing theyre crazy music with a couple of slow songs once in a while...are you guys just completet jackasses??? **** you mez/hyp are incredible albums so go **** yourselves... Norway
    Darkage
    yeah this album is good but soad is losing their touch. But its great to listen for there craziness. vincinity of obscinity is the best of all of them.
    fret13
    a7xsoad09. Vicinity Of Obscenity - you may be shocked that I have only given an 6 for this song if you have heard it. I find it does get boring, I find it seems to meaningless and insane for even me to handle (trust me, I'm insane). Then again, rather like 'Chop Suey' I would probably appreciate this song more if I knew what It meant. Lyrics from this stupid song include screaming "Liar" endlessly, and Serj chanting "Banana, Banana, Terracotta Pie?"]
    um. no one knows dude. thats why its funny. it odesnt mean anything.its just a funny song.