Mezmerize review by System of a Down

• Released: May 17, 2005
System of a Down: Mezmerize

The sound is great. The best way I've heard it described is schizophrinic or bipolar. It goes from extreme heavy metal to soft and melodic and sounds great. Daron did a fantastic job writing the music for this. He also played a lot of the bass parts because he knows the feel for the songs. Don't worry, he's working with Shavo so he can play it on tour.

The lyrics are also fantastic. They don't always make sense, but that's also why I love them. They also get very political which I think is great for a band to be doing. To the kid that thought "Soldier Side" was completely pointless, I hope you never procreate, because it's an introduction to the CD, it's not supposed to be 4 minutes long, it's supposed to set the mood for the album, which it did fantastically. And to anyone who thinks Daron is being egotistical by doing some lead singing. I assume you guys do know how to read, since you did write a review, so pick up July's copy of Guitar World Magazine. Daron explains how Daron, Serj, and Shavo go way back, and Daron used to do all of the lead singing in earlier forms of SOAD. It feels very natural for all of them to have Daron singing more, so back off.

I have to admit, I didn't care for most of the album the first time I flipped through the tracks. I bought it for Byob and because I love SOAD, but the second time I went through and listened to the whole album, I realized how much I really like every song on the CD, especially "Lost In Hollywood," which is very traditional SOAD. It's a little slow compared to the rest of their stuff, but a very good song. I would not recommend any one song on this CD, because the entire album is fantastic.