Mezmerize review by System of a Down

• Released: May 17, 2005
System of a Down: Mezmerize

What a wonderful way to kick off their double-album release of Hypnotize/Mezmerize. System Of A Down has amazed me since Toxicity, and I enjoyed everything about this album. From the wild vocal hi-jinks of Serj and Daron, to just Daron's insane guitar work. The dropped tuning was magnificent, and unlike most metal you see today. And the use of a phaser or whatever it was in "Old School Hollywood" was an added plus for me. The songs on this album, like "BYOB" and "Revenga," follow in the styles of past classics, such as "Aerials" and "Chop Suey." Wonderful, wonderful stuff.

You can't listen to this album and not realize that a good half of these songs are political rants. But I loved it anyway. I enjoyed the fact that they are willing to voice their opinions and make good music at the same time. I will never tire of Serj's vocals. He sounds so humorous in songs like "This Cocaine Makes Me Feel Like I'm On This Song" or "BYOB," yet so meaningful on tracks like "Question!" and "Soldier's Side (Intro)." And Daron has wonderful talent as well, and he demonstrates this on songs like "Lost In Hollywood" and even the humorous "Cigaro." Beautiful and just ridiculous lyrics by Serj and Daron.

Never have I seen such a wonderful anti-political band in the history of music. Every song on here is a keeper. You just can't skip a single track on there. "Cigaro" keeps you laughing as it enlightens you on political evils, and "Lost In Hollywood" gives you a little taste of their softer side. I can't hate a single thing on this album. I love the guitar work, the vocals and the lyrics. I can only hope Hypnotize surpasses this album.