Mezmerize review by System of a Down

• Released: May 17, 2005
System of a Down: Mezmerize

This is a very different CD in terms of System's style. This is a well recorded disc and is good quality but if you listen to there newest single 'defy you' it has a very distinct resemblence to a much earlier hit of theirs 'nuguns' I myself am a huge fan of SOAD but I was really dissapointed with this one mishaps. Otherwise this is a very enjoyable album, the band seem to have created a new System, still retaining their old qualities and recognisable sound but with a very new and fresh blast! They remain as heavy and as brilliant as ever. The group also seem to have also adapted a new dress code to go with their sounds, very class, very rock. Anyone who has seen the video for their newest hit 'BYOB' will have noticed this.

Daaron seems to have found a hidden talent of his as he now has a much greater role then just backing vocals, he shares the writing and singing in many of the new songs along with serg. He did this to a certain extent prior to this album but has stepped it up a notch, this is also evident in 'BYOB' Serg's ideas remain tightly focused on his hatered of the American government, amongst war and various other ideas. He still remains a talented and well respected vocalist.

It is very different so therefore is hard to compare to previous albums. I think BYOB and Sad Statue are the most influencial and powerful songs on this album. I think this new type of 'System' is fantastic but there older material still remains the best for me. There is not much I dislike on this record apart from the lyrically remastered 'nuguns' which is now defy you, good song but a let down on the bands part, in my opinion. For all System Of A Down lovers I think it's worth while buying, and also for those that don't yet appreciate their music.