Mezmerize review by System of a Down

• Released: May 17, 2005
System of a Down: Mezmerize

It's always hard to describe the sound of System Of A Down. Sometimes it's heavey, sometimes it's light. Sometimes it's just wierd. This CD kinda suprised me. It wasn't what I was expecting. I was expecting something like the 2001 CD "Toxicity." Or maybe thier selftitled or "Steal This Album." This one is the most different. It's got the songs that are just pure SOAD like "BYOB," "Revenga" or "Cirgaro." But it has the differnt style of SOAD that I havent heard in any of thier other songs. For example "Old School Hollywood" or "Radio-Video." SOAD uses much more acoustic guitar in this album. I guess it's ok. I like the acoustic guitaring in "Question." The keyboard is used more in this album too. Especially in "Old School Hollywood." I think SOAD should stick with your older style but the sound was pretty good.

The vocals have definetly changed. Guitarist/now vocalist Daron Malankian sings way more in this album. I don't really like his voice. It's kind of annoying. The only song he sings (screams) good in is "BYOB." On the other hand, vocalist/keyboardist Serj Tankian has a funny accent but still has a better voice than Daron. The lyrics are pretty good. I don't really understand them. The best lyrics are in Soldier Side (Intro). The funniest lyrics are on "This Cocaine Makes Me Feel like I'm On This Song." The rest are pretty good.

After listening to this CD I cant wait to see what Hypnotize has to offer. The new style SOAD put on this CD is pretty cool. Although I do perffer the other CDs over this one execpt thier self-titled. The drumming on this CD is the best. John Dolmayan really out did himself in this one. In my mind the best song on this CD is "Sad Statue" because the guitaring sounds really cool. If it were stolen/lost I would buy this CD again because it just really cool.