Mezmerize review by System of a Down

• Released: May 17, 2005
System of a Down: Mezmerize

I liked to new sound to the album, it was very different from their previous albums, like Toxicity, Steal This Album, and their self-titled album. I liked the dropped C tunning alot better, but after looking through all their tabs, they had pretty muched worn out all the possible patterns played on the 3 lowest strings. I bought this album to complete my SOAD CD collection, and after listening to the whole CD I was sortta dissapointed, beacuse it was so different from their other albums. I could listen to their self titled album all day and never get tired of, but after 36 minutes of listening to Mesmerized (the lenghth of the CD) I'm ready t turn it off. I don't like Old School Hollywood, and if I had heard that on the radio I would have never guessed it was SOAD. At first I though Daron was a an okay singer, because him and Serj make good harmony together, but then I listened to their live preformances and I realized that Daron couldn't sing worth s--t. I didn't like that so many of the songs on the new album were so soft, but I guess they had to do that so little daron could sing more. It just wouldn't sond right for Daron with his high piched voice to be singing a song like F--k The System. Daron needs to back off of Serj's main vocalist position. Daron hardley ever sang on the other albums for a reason. Serj is a much better singer proof of this is on songs like Toxicity. The 1st time I listened to that song it gave me goose bumps. I think this is their worst CD they've released. I can only hope that their next album Hypnotized that's supposed to come out sometime in November is closer to their old sound, but from what I've read it's not. You can find 2 of their new songs off of Hypnotized (Kill Rock 'N' Roll and Holy Mountain preformed live) on the message boards at Systemofadown. com. I think the message board is called "What we already know about Hypnotized. Download them and make your own oppnion on what their new CD might sound like.

I love how they can sing about serious topics and still make thm funny and enjoyable to listen to, like on one of my favorite songs Chic 'N' Stu, on Steal This Album. Sometimes their political songs can get annoying, especially when you don't always agree with them. Even if their lyrics suck sometimes Serj's powerful voice makes them sound better, I love that he can sing in so many different voices [instead of just one high piched screeach (Daron)].

Overall this was a good CD, but it didn't compare to their other 3 CDs. The best thing about it was when Serj sang with Daron as a backup, not the other way around. If this CD was lost or stolen I would replace it the main reason, because I'd want to keep my collection complete.