Mezmerize review by System of a Down

• Released: May 17, 2005
System of a Down: Mezmerize

Incredible work has gone in to the quality of this album. Every note sounds pristine clear, even throught the gut wrenchingly high gain. The sound varies from usual System (tracks such as Cigaro and Revenga) to completley new but still good trakcs (Radio/Video and Old School Holywood). And they even throw in an clean track for good measure (Lost In Hollywood). Don't be alarmed about the clean track though. This is no magic numbers song. This is a dark and meaningfull ballad.

A bit let down acctually! I am a huge fan of Serj's voice, whereas Darren seems to dominate the vocal side becoming more of a second singer than a backup singer. Don't get me wrong Darren's voice is incredible! But there's something strange and brilliant about Serj's voice that I just can't resist. As far as the lyrics go, still quirky as ever (gonneria, gorganzola, single files and clean feedings?) but still incredible.

I'm not too sure if an of the die hard "old" system fans will appreciate this as much. But anyone who liked them will still do. Far from changing there whole sound as some bands do, System have managed to keep there old loveable crazy tone and manipulate it into something new and exciting. But definately still system!