Mezmerize review by System of a Down

• Released: May 17, 2005
System of a Down: Mezmerize

System Of A Down has a very unique and distinct sound, and in my opinion, especially in this album. Although they could have made their songs sound a bit less alike, I can easily tell that they worked hard with the sound. The guitar solos were great, and the rythm guitars were pretty good as well. I think the sound matched well with how intense the song was supposed to be. There were definetely some music innovations in this album. There was some new sounds that were creative and fulfilling.

The lyrics are also very unique and deep. For most people, you might think that the lyrics are foolish or don't make any sense, but a very large fraction of the songs had a meaning. A lot of politics. Only System Of A Down could pull off lyrics like those! The lyrics went very well with the music. When the lyrics were intense, the music, especially the guitar, got intense, too. I think the singer is very skilled. Similar to David Draiman, lead singer of Disturbed, the singer of System Of A Down has a distinct voice that you can name who it is right off the bat.

Overall, this band does not compare to much other bands. They are again, unique, and always have been. There's no other band that compares to System Of A Down when it comes to lyrics and sound. Two songs I was most impressed with would be Cigaro and Old School Hollywood. Cigaro is the more mysterious type of song when you don't know if he's really meaning what he's saying, or if there's a hidden meaning to it and you just have to take the time to figure it out, and I like that about a song. Old School Hollywood has a unique sound with a meaning. The lyrics were written well. I love the lyrics the most about this album because of how well written they were, and the way they can be funny or serious, depending on the way you look at it. There's not much to hate on this album, but I do wish that the meanings to the songs were a bit easier to figure out. I would definetley buy this album again if I ever lost it or it got stolen. It's not the thing you'd want to lose, because you won't know what you're missing!

Bunyip
    daron and serj have awesome dynamics its as if their voices were meant to harmonise and compliment eachother this is my favourite album followed closely by steal this album (soley for the overdubbed classical guitar work on nuguns) System are an awesome recorded band I havent seen them live so I wont comment but it would be interesting seeing if daron could pull off all his overdubbing live
    paperskyx
    To everybody who says Cigaro is stupid because they are "boasting about the size of their dick", well you're the stupid one. SOAD isn't retarded enough to make a song that's truly about that. It's called the hidden meaning and apparently you're all too dumb to figure it out. Ever heard of politics?