Mezmerize review by System of a Down

• Released: May 17, 2005
System of a Down: Mezmerize

As the first half of a two-disc series, System of a Down's "Mezmerize" stands as the premier to the "newer" System sound. From the first track the CD presents a lyrical journey through American society and government's problems. As always, System's Nu-Metal sound is there, from Serj's diverse singing styles to Daron's fast fretwork. While the songs take a slightly more "sane" tone than "Toxicity" did (Anyone remember the song "Bounce"? ), the album still has the great, catchy riffs and lyrics that kept me listening for years.

The majority of this album's lyrics are about politics or society. Like a good citizen should, songwriters Serj Tankian and Daron Malakian use their lyrics to criticize the wrongdoings of these two groups. While the lyrics are often abstract, they still have a good implicit theme and are catchy. Listeners might catch that the songs often include odd time signatures, which allows Serj to explore his voice more fully than on previous albums.

Overall, Mezmerize is a solid System of a Down album that doesn't fail to please. The diversity of the album combined with the intermittent messages is fresh, healthy for the ears, and a great addition to your library. Also, for the aspiring guitarist, the songs are fun to learn (I've learned all of them so far! ) so you will have plenty of good times with this CD.

shotgunjoe
    metallica-cool
    shotgunjoe wrote: No one should listen to lyrics. Lyrics are best when they mean nothing. All that matters is that the music is good, and in this case, it really is.
    um sure whatever you say
    slashfan414
    shotgunjoe : No one should listen to lyrics. Lyrics are best when they mean nothing. All that matters is that the music is good, and in this case, it really is.
    He has a point. Lyrics dont mean s*** w/o good music backing it.
    guydeitch
    THIS IS THEIR BEST ALBUM EVER! I LOVE EVERY SINGLE SONG ON IT! AND NO, I DIDN'T FORGET CAPS LOCK ON!!!
    530-333-1962
    System of a down is gay. Call me if you wanna discuss pussy. I'll give you 3 guesses as to my number.