Mezmerize review by System of a Down

• Released: May 17, 2005
System of a Down: Mezmerize

The sound on this album is different enough to other System albums to appeal to previously non-system fans, while keeping the same range of wierd and interesting sounds to appease fans, for example one song uses an accorian. However, I personally feel it is one of System most interesting and different sounding albums.

The lyrics on this album really stand out. The lead off single Byob keeps system's political spirit alive (every city gripped in oil, crying freedom, handed to obsoletion, still you feed us lies from the tablecloth) while the other well known album track, Cigaro, targets ego-tistical businessmen types (my cock is much bigger than yours). As with the sound, the lyrics cover a range of emotions and topics. Possibly the best song on the album, Question, gets philisophical with lines such as do we know when we die? do we know where we go? The album finisher, Lost In Hollywood depicts a washed up star regretting their chosen path in life (should have never trusted hollywood). Overall, fantastic lyrics (as always with System).

This is an incredible album. After hearing how pop orientated the single Byob was, I was finding myself doubtful. However all the songs are well written and just mindblowing. Standout tracks for me are: Question, Sad Statue and Lost In Hollywood. I urge you to buy this album (don't just download it as I did, I'm gonna buy it though as well) and support this incredible band. If only Hypnotize is this good.