Mezmerize review by System of a Down

• Released: May 17, 2005
System of a Down: Mezmerize

System Of A Down have always been a very heavy band album-wise, despite usually having the soft songs as their singles and videos. The first SOAD album I bought was Toxicity, and I nearly soiled myself when it started. It was the intro of Prison Song on max volume, it was fricking awesome and very painful - I was expecting every song to be like Chop Suey and Toxicity, how wrong I was. I couldn't get used to their heaviness, but I've grown to love them and now their my favorite band. They change tempo regularly in mid-song and have a humourous attitude to the news. Daron rarely gets out of drop C tuning, so their songs are initially heavy palm muted guitar, with slow solos, with a strange Jewish-style influence. Darons singing has improved greatly after his singing lessons, and now often sings lead, and his guitaring has improved to, which is evident in Radio/Video. The bassing is quiet but evident and heavy and usually follows the guitar. Serj's singing is strangly hypnotic and blissful, its almost intoxicating. Serj is a talented singer and can shout angrily as well as do a very fast rap and sing in perfect harmony with Daron's lead. I can only applaud the drummer for keeping up with the crazy tempo-changes and is obviously a great drummer. SOAD have developed their own genre, which I like to call Hard-Jew-Freak-Rock. It involves talentful guitaring with huge heavy verses and complicated bridges, beautiful harmonic singing with anti-everything lyrics and crazy beastly drumming with a hint of Judaism.

Lyrics are written about politics and history, and can be figured out if you listen to the lyrics. For example, Byob, is written about that oh-so-usless unjustified war for oil/weapons of mass destruction. You know probably, they made it obvious this time. And Cigaro is a song about Daron's cock. It may be related to those pimp home-ghetto-monkey rappers who think they have large cocks, when the real reason that women like them is because they have lots of money. Singers are skilled and harmonic with eachother, Daron has a high, stoned, screamy voice and Serj has a low more skillful voice. The only thing I can critisize about the lyrics is there sometimes random and overly screamy. I'd say 4.5 more like but it rounds up to five.

Mezmerize is one of the biggest albums of 2005 and wil stand out for many more years. In my opinion it's the the second best album behind Toxicity. The best thing about it is its 16 tracks long. It's huge and imposing and will devour your life in guitar riffs, you'll be compelled to learn every song. The worst thing - it's not very heavy. The heaviest song is Cigaro and it kicks ass. Toxicity kicked ass because of heavy songs like X and Deer Dance and crazy hypnotic epics like Chop Suey and Ariels. If I lost it, I wouldn't by it again. I would get my mate to copy it. They would have it because everyone needs it. It's perfect for dispisers and lovers of SOAD because it's not the same as the other albums, its quieter, more meaningful, softer, funnier, and is surpassed only by Toxicity. Buy Toxicity, learn everything on it, then buy this, and learn everything on it.