Steal This Album! review by System of a Down

• Released: Nov 25, 2002
System of a Down: Steal This Album!

The best thing about SOAD is their sound. The best way to describe it would be to say that they simply do not sound like any other band on this planet. They take metal, punk, pop and just about every other genre ever and fuse them together in a perfect mix to create a metal album like no other. I have read many reviews from loads of sites saying how 'it's just noise recorded with some guy trying to sing over it' for one thing Serj's powerful voice is fantastic and the amount of vocal techniques he can throw into one song is ridiculous, two - Daron's guitar playing has been rated by many guitar magazine to be some of the best ever, as for bass player Shavo and drum player John they are also superb veterans of their field. The many things that 'System' are the one thing they are not is recorded noise. Their sound is unique, incredible, inspiring and as catchy as hell.

Some people say this is SOAD weak point but in fact it seems to me like just another strong point. Seriously how many people could rant about pepperoni and green peppers, mushrooms, olive, chives (first track on this album - Chic 'n' Stu) and get away with it? I am a lead singer for a metal band myself like Serj and I do my own lyric writing, like Serj, and I can write serious lyrics no problem but when it comes to blending serious and humour I have a big problem, Serj is genious and since Daron does a fair bit of lyric writing also, so is he.

The thing about this album, in fact SOAD in general is that they don't compare to any other band on the planet, ever! Their is and has been no one that sound anything like these guys. Focusing on this album which is made up of tracks that SOAD decided not to release but in the end did (thank the almighty they did to) it's just the same old System - purely incredible. Real stand out tracks are - A.D.D. (American Dream Denial), F--k The System, Roulette And Streamline, all the tracks are pretty damn brilliant but these are the ones that stand out the most. This album used to be pretty hard to track down but I got my special edition one from HMV for 4.99 so you shouldn't be too hard pressed to find a copy and its well worth tracking down, a superb album yet again.