System of a Down review by System of a Down

• Released: Oct 12, 1998
System of a Down: System of a Down

Sound is where this album shines more then anything else. I got this disc some many years ago and thought wow this is good, then just moved on. Then last semester I took a music theory class and relistened to it, and all I can say is that you could teach the whole class on this CD. The experimentation like, key changes, time changes, awkward chord progressions that sound like they wont fit but do so perfectly. Your ear thinks its going one way, but they take you a totally different way.

The lyrics are not Sytem of a Down's strong side, well with me anyways. I never really got into political music, espesially seeing as I'm a republican. Though this album is alot less about that then Sytem's other works, this album tends to be more about drug use and self discovery, with some political views sprinkled in it. Serj Tankian's vioce is amazing, his singing skills are raw and seem untrained, but it complements the work of the music so well that its impossible to imagine any other voice on the tracks. He's not afraid to challenge is capabilities.

System of a Down is such a great peice of music and his one that I'll continue listening to for many many years, so I think it's easy to say that if I lost it I'd buy it again, or maybe steal it! This album is certainly Systems best work, it doesn't have songs that were taylered for the radio, it had songs that were writting to show that good music is still writtable and that you don't need only technicall skill to do it. Many people are all about the technicall stuff that they lose the importance of music theory and experimentation. This ablum as that and any person who appreciates that would love it.