System of a Down review by System of a Down

• Released: Oct 12, 1998
System of a Down: System of a Down

Wow. It's nearly impossible to describe SOAD's sound. They combine nu-metal, old metal, polka, pop, punk, funk, goth, and nearly every other genre you've ever heard. 01. Suite-pee - the first ten seconds are really misleading-it quickly evolves into a full-fleged, super fast (and anti-Christian) nu metal anthem (11/10). 02. Know - the opening really shows the drummer's skill, and, like any System song, has deep political lyrics, a hard and heavy chorus, and fast verses with a good beat, and the usual (8/10). 03. Sugar - starts off with an energetic chorus. Most of the song is Serj talk-singing with some really hilarious lyrics ("I got a gun the other day from Sako it's cute, small, and fits right in my pocket") (8.5/10). 04. Suggestions - starts off pretty quietly and almost acoustic, then ends each verse with a random high-pitched scream. The third verse, sung entirely in falsetto, is hilarious (8/10). 05. Spiders - slow, boring, one or two notes away from Aerials; however, it still manages to be very haunting (6/10). 06. Devil - extremely short, extremely uncalled for, extremely fast, extremely System. Enough said (10/10). 07. Soil - System's most explicit song ever, with slower verses but a chorus so fast that you can't understand a word of it (8/10). 08. War? - pretty fast and incomprehesible, with a religious war theme and a wonderful speech in the middle. Yup, it's System (9/10). 09. Mind - what is this doing here? The rest of the album is fast, nu metal, and random, and this song comes out of nowhere with a whispered intro and a lot of funk influences. 6 minutes of slow junk (4/10). 10. Peephole - System's glory is restored after that last track with the creepy intro and overall strange song. It's thrash and polka together. How can you not love it? (10/10). 11. Cubert - Ah, another short one. 1 and one half minutes of singing about corn, pyramids, fallen rubies, and creepy siren-laughter (10/10). 12. Darts - "May I please?" Serj croaks/screams after an energizing bass intro. This song talks about his desires and how darts screech. The best part is the chorus when he sings and screeches about Hindu gods. Of course (7.5/10). 13. PLUCK - very punky, yet somehow very System. All about that wonderful Armenian genocide System seem so very happy about. Slow but good chorus (9/10).

To start, SOAD lyrics are unlike anything else in the world. The range from such deep, meaningful topics as canned popcorn to fatherless boys creating phoenixes. Wonderful. On the other hand, the singing is really good. Serj can sing in a great regular voices, falsetto, a sub-human growl, and a peircing screech.

This is SOAD's second best CD, next to Mezmerize. This is their nu-metalest CD, but it is also their only CD with guitar solos. Go figure. If it were losted I'd just burn it again (I have all the tracks on my comp). SOAD is great because they have the attention span of a goldfish and if you, like me, do too you'll.