System of a Down review by System of a Down

• Released: Oct 12, 1998
System of a Down: System of a Down

This is SOAD's heaviest album and probably the least accesible to the new rock fan but to a hardcore fan it is excellent. Having said that I recommend everyone gives it a try. The production on the sound is great. Some debuts sound crap as if they were recorded in a tin can but not this one. It still sounds excellent by todays standards and remains one of my favourite albums.

Serj has one of the most versatile voices I have ever heard. If you are fortunate enough to have seen them live you should have noticed at times Serj holds the microphone to his throat and sings that way. The vocals in Spiders are done this way. The lyrics are great in every song. But as usual with SOAD the is their bizarre lyrics thrown in like "The kombucha mushroom people sitting around all day". The lyrics definetly suit the music.

IMO the best songs are Suite-Pee, Sugar and Spiders. I love this album because it stands out so much from everything else from that time. If it were stolen I'd find the guy who took it and I'll kick his head in personally, rip his cock off and shove it so far up his ass it will come out his nose and he will come in his own mouth. If I lost it I'd go out and buy 5 copies to make sure it didn't happen again.