System of a Down review by System of a Down

• Released: Oct 12, 1998
System of a Down: System of a Down

System of a Down's sound is undeniable. A punk/metal mix with a political message that other bands have tried to match, but have never succeeded. SOAD puts power behind every word and note, there has never, and never will be, a band that can match SOAD. Each and every track has its own sound and own message, yet they mold together like peanut butter and jelly. Many of their tracks have an almost nu metal polka beat to them. This is SOAD's own personality. As silly as "polka" and "nu-metal" sound in the same sentence, SOAD pulls it off without a hitch.

01. Suite-Pee - is a good start to a good CD. With a transfixing vocal line and unebelievable well written lyrics, Suite-Pee is a good omen of what is to come. 02. Know - SOAD is amazed by Armenian folk-lore. This song reflects that. "See the land the women chant as they fly up to the sun." This song is the first of all the songs that carries an obvious message. "You ever think you know why. Know, you never think you know why." 03. Sugar - by far one of my favorite songs by SOAD. Excellent lyrics with excellent vocals, just like all the other SOAD songs, but this one is different. "Breath taking" would be how to describe it. There isn't an obvious political message behind this song, but it still fits System of a Down. 04. Suggestions - fun as hell! Carrying the first polka-esque sound along with a political message makes this song a fun one to listen to, sing along with, and play on guitar. 05. Spider - the first soft song on the CD. Excellently put together, excellently executed. Undeniable that this is a good song. Serj's voice is complimented by the bass and during the chorus the guitars. 06. DDevil - carrying a message that states plagiarization is rampant in today's society, they tell us loud and clear that no one's writing except their own, of course is original in every way. But that's just the first verse. This is yet another excellent track. 07. Soil - an almost Arabian sounding vocal line with excellent music. They mold together well, although it seems as if they shouldn't. "Don't you, realize, that evil, lives in the motherf--king skin?" Not sure what it means, but it sounds wonderful! 08. War? - the lyrics are self-explanatory with their message. All together, this track is also one of my favorites from the CD. Just good. 'Nuff said. 09. Mind - unfortunately, I rarely listen to this track only because. Well, I just skip it a lot. It's SOAD though, so it's good, trust me. 10. Peephole - my favorite song to play on my bass. Polka with metal. Man, it's a treat for the ears. The lyrics are trippy and can take you to another world. 11. Cubert - weird is the first word that comes to mind. Excellent is the next word. 12. Darts - this song was dedicated to the lives lost in an act of genocide in the Middle East. "Clock men for they will fail. Fear not the gods that come from the sky. Long not for the ones who have lost their way." 13. Pluck - first off, the name rocks! Pluck means Politically Lying Unholy Cowardly Killers. That right there is enough, but I'll go on. The political message behind this song is obvious. "A whole race genocide, taken away all of our pride."

Overall, this is a must buy. If I ever lost this CD I'd slowly die until I bought a new copy. I listen to it daily, along with all of SOAD's CDs. None of my other CDs can compare to this. Not at all, never. The only bad part about this CD is when it ends.