System of a Down review by System of a Down

• Released: Oct 12, 1998
System of a Down: System of a Down

SOAD are a one of a kind band. You don't see bands like them often. Hell, they're the only one that sounds like them, which is a good thing. Serj can scream and sing like no other. No one sounds like him. Absoloutley no one. Daron's guitar is good, albeit simple generally, and nothing special about his tone. Shavo's bass is good, though generally just following the root and awefully repetitive, though there are exceptions. John's drumming is good, he uses some crazy beats. But somehow, it all fits. It's hard to describe SOAD's sound. Think chaotic. More chaotic then Toxicity, Mezmerize and Hypnotize all wrapped into one. Maybe not, but you get the idea. Easily SOAD's heaviest outing, which I like.

Serj can sing f--king goodly. Yes, I said goodly. Weather he's singing like in Spiders, screaming into the mic a la Suit-Pea, or doing his crazy-assed sounds in DDevil and Suggestions. He was trained as an opera singer, but he's playing metal. Go figure. Chaos ensues, but it's good chaos.

SOAD's heaviest album by far. Suite Pea opens up with a bang, know keeps it going. Sugar puts more of a groove on you, and Suggestions keeps this up, as does Spiders. DDevil brings back the heavy and follows up with Soil and War? Then the weird tracks come. Peephole and Mind bring about the albums only flaws, I think. It makes it hard to listen to the album full-stop. I always skip them, but thats just me. Cubert brings back the heavy, Darts gives you a weird-heavy song, and PLUCK finishes off with a bang. Well worth the money, SOAD's heaviest album. Get it.