System of a Down review by System of a Down

• Released: Oct 12, 1998
System of a Down: System of a Down

As usual, System tend to have a different sound for each album as they don't agree with having all their songs sounding like one medley. Although System have tried many different approaches to their music, this is definately my favourite album, with songs such as Chic 'n' stu, roulette and mr.jack just showing how different their songs can be on just one album. At the time I bought the album, I was abroad in Turkey. I had just started listening to System, having borrowed a friend's copy of toxicity. After seeing the Steal this album CD in the market I begged for ages for my dad to buy it. I guess I wasn't much bothered by what it was, it was who it was that counted at the time. Having said that, I'm so glad it was that album, and not any other that I listened to second. It was completely different to toxicity, which shocked me, because at the time, I was used to every band having a sound, and sticking to it.The way the guitars were played and the vocals sang inspired me, as I had never heard anything quite like it.

The lyrics are of course what some would describe as a weak point of System. However, these are the people that do not understand the soul and beliefs that go into every word. Not just the way the lyrics are written but the way they are sung portray the way life is, and the political downfall of society. The way that they write is astounding, as if you sat most people down with a piece of paper and a pen, told them to write a song, you'd never get anything as powerful, and true to the writer's heart as this. A lot of people try singing along to System. but until they have heard the song over and over, they will never be in tune. why? because of the incredible harmonies. In this album, the main lines are Tankian's, But malakian has some part in things. for example, his voice has great influence in the song roulette. The lyrics and voices melt into the music like hand in glove. This, as many songwriters and musicians can be extremely hard to do, and many ideas get thrown in the waste paper basket. With System, it seems to be quite effortless.

This album out competes many other albums, in the way that it doesn't have a real genre. elements of many types of music can be found in their songs, and System have never admitted to having sat down and said, "Let's be rockstars" this is part of what makes their music so unique. their are many influential songs on this album, but some represent our world in such a crisp view, it's impossible not to sit down and just listen in complete silence. Roulette, mr.jack and pictures are just a couple of my favourites off the album, as they tell of different situations and lives. I can't say I "love" parts of the album, and there's definately nothing that I hate. If my album were to be stolen, but perpretrator would be quite disappointed, as it's a computer copy! but as such, I would defiantely go searching for another. It's one of the best albums I have, and I'm proud to own such an amazing piece of workmanship.

tituzz2
    War? and Know are the best songs on this cd,and when soad play these in concert... they are xtreme...\m/ but have you ever seen the video of spider? for me is one of the best....
    psyco223
    well i dont agree with tituzz P.L.U.C.K is the best and thats final and so what about spiders video that song sucks period and dont think your left out Co&Ca182 or whatever ur name is SPIDERS SUCKS!!!!!
    Tedward
    psyco223 is retarded he has no rite to tell other people what is the best
    Derykk88
    I like Tedward. Spiders is a great song.....its so poetic...but when i heard pluck...it gives me goosebumps. Soils good to...i get chills from when serj yells at the end "WhY THE F**K DID YOU TAKE HIM AWAY FROM US YOU MOTHER F***ER!!!!!" oh yeah, the solos killer to..you can sense the whole arabic rift mood.....im a huge system fan..and thiss is by far my favorite album..and i agree with tittuzz in concert, when they do war its amazing
    psyco223
    yea i guess thats true P.L.U.C.K is pretty wierd but once i started listening to spiders its actually pretty good P.L.U.C.K screams to much and doesnt make sense so yea i guess i actually kinda agree with tedward and derykk88 cuz spiders is pretty good once u listen to it alot