System of a Down review by System of a Down

• Released: Oct 12, 1998
System of a Down: System of a Down

This is early System, so you can't expect the newer Mezmerize-ish style. Much more raw and, though it has the political songs, it has a bit more of a personal message from System in there. "Soil" itself is a song about a good friend of theirs that committed suicide. "P.L.U.C.K." is the one song of theirs that almost directly tells you what the song is about. As a matter of fact, I'm listening to it right now. The first actual line of lyrics, not counting the whispering of "elimination" is "A whole race, genocide. Taken away all of our pride." It's fairly obvious. It is also System's debatably most hardcore song, and my personal favorite on the album. The whole CD is their most hardcore through their entire discography. If you have become used to the newer System, this CD may only please you if you can truly appreciate System for all they are.

A lot of people have said this album is great because Daron hardly sings at all. He does some backup stuff in one or two songs but that's it. However, I enjoy Daron's singing. It adds another level of depth to the band and makes it seem more complex (note: his first real singing part is in "Needles" on Toxicity). Serj more than makes up for the lack of Daron on this album however. His amazing range from the major highs to extreme lows still impresses me today, and I have listened to System since this album first came out. The lyrics complement the songs very well, are catchy, and have great meanings. With the exception of some trippy songs here and there. The lyrics are extremely creative, though the were most likely induced by some sort of post-LSD hallucination. Nevertheless, still great.

This is probably System's best album, though that title may belong to Toxicity. The only song that even kind of bugs me is "Suggestions." I still love the song, but it just annoys me when I'm not in the mood to listen to it. The entire album, however, is fantastic. There really isn't a single bad thing I could say about this album. Even the overly-long bass intro to "Mind" is great! Buy this album now is you love System Of A Down and don't have it already!

theguitarist
    Checked/Deleted.-psyco223, I only gave you a warning instead of a ban because I felt generous today.
    mental_zer0
    finally we are past the childish taunting. The anonymity of the internet does terrible things. I love this album, as reviewed above. Spiders rocks, Darts rules, and PLUCK is teh pwnzorz.