System of a Down review by System of a Down

• Released: Oct 12, 1998
System of a Down: System of a Down

System Of A Down's sound on this album really upties the alt-metal industries impression on how well sound can be constructed. Possibly the heaviest distortion ever used by System will be found mostly on this album. The sounds on this album are amazing with the use of Harmonics, insane bass lines, and mad-man drumming.

The vocals on this LP self-titled alum can be straightforeward and serious at one minute, and then entertaining at another. Songs like Spiders can be genuine and have sympathy, while songs like CUBErt, and Ddevil are more on the entertaining side. This diversity of lyrics give this CD a great flow, and never keeps you from being bored.

01. Suite-Pee - this song begins with a notably famous harmonic line from Daron. Simply showing how much talent System of a Down has, this song is a great opener to a great CD. Still, one of my top-favorite songs by System of a Down to date. 02. Know - another great piece of work. Has it's entertaining moments with the lyrics, from Serj. A favorite off of this album. 03. Sugar - one of the singles off of this album. Be it being very serious, yet extremely entertaining at the same time. If you were to put Soil and Darts together, this song would be par to it, lyric-wise. One again, System shows great musiciansmanship. 04. Suggestions - a piece of art. No true explination is necessary. Simply a great song. 05. Spiders - yes, this song is a slow song off of this album. It shows that System can be a serious band as well, with great musiciansmanship and song writing. A good song. 06. Ddevil - System Of A Down goes back once again, to the same style as Sugar. Heavy, humerous, and still metal. 07. Soil - a song with a story. Heavy, extreme, and it has it's points. Simply put, the greatest SoaD song ever written; in my opinion. The drumming is extremely crazy on this song. A masterpiece. 08. War? - great usage of Harmonics by Daron in the beginning. A great use of Vocals by Serj, and the basslines and drumming just ties right in with the great musiciansmanship. Using the line "We wont speak anymore of war", gives a great breakdown in the song. 09. Mind - a different song indeed. Very melodic for the first minute-and-a-half. Then, jumps into a heavy part. Very catchy lyrics that will make you want to sing along to when listening to. Humerous lyrics also. Many people look down upon this song, yet there's this feeling on this song that makes me really like it. 10. Peephole - a different song. Use of different instruments on this song makes is slightly progressive. Ends with a great guitar solo by Daron. 11. CUBErt - a great song. Very short, but you can get a laugh out of when hearing the line "Popcorn everywhere." This song tells a story, yet it ingenious to find out what it means. Still, a great song. 12. Darts - a great song, that expresses the great types of voices that Serj can speak of. When shouts "May I Please", which are the first words spoken on this song, Serj sounds like an angered old woman. A great song. 13. P.L.U.C.K. (Politically Lying Unholy Cowardly Killers) - a great ending song, speaking about genocide, war, and other political crisis situations. A great use of an intro, jumping from one instrument to another, this song shows great musiciansmanship. A great way to end the CD. Overall, if you want raw Alt-Metal, and want to hear the roots that System Of A Down emerged from, this CD is the one to pick. If this CD were lost or stolen, I would definantly buy it again, seeing it as one of my favorite cds of all time (I've had the CD since I was 7, in 1998).

dakota1211
    Soad are amazing!! they were my favorite band for a whole year! and i loved all their songs through out that year but now im getting into more bands.. like MCR ac/dc Mushroomhead. good stuff.
    Ingsoc
    Soil isn't completely random METSOAD, it is about one of the band's old friends from the band Soil who committed suicide. Well, most people theorize that is what it is about, you can never be 100% sure. So if that song seems to be full of some....very powerful things....there you go. 'WHY DID YOU TAKE HIM AWAY FROM US YOU MOTHER!@#$ER!?"
    kickthebass
    this album is greatest album in nu-metal! brilliant aggressive drive sound kewl lyrix, and there are no daron's ****in-thin vocal in it. PERFECT !!!
    GuitarNinja808
    why would someone make a review for a cd if it was really long time ago? still SOAD is awesome though..
    thecameronator
    RainbowBassist : If anything, I think this was their best album. The instrumentation on this Cd were incredible! After this CD, the bass music pretty music disappeared, except for once or twice on Steal this Album. The lyrics and vocals were incredible. Serj Tankian is an amazing vocalist, and the lyrics were political, made sense, and really made a point!! Great CD, 10/10. Also, I thought that Spiders was one of the best on the album too... THEY'RE NOT NU-METAL!! THEY'RE METAL. JUST METAL.
    yes, finally sum1 agrees that there not numetal