System of a Down review by System of a Down

• Released: Oct 12, 1998
System of a Down: System of a Down

Recently I finally got my copy of System of a Down's self titled debut, and I must admit it is pretty far out there, even for them! The sound of the album is basically the signature System sound, elements of prog metal, nu-metal, and also some eastern influences found in most of the songs. There are some really heavy and also catchy riffs in a lot of the songs which really gives you an open door to really get into the music. "Know" and "Soil" are both good examples of that. However, since this is their first album, you would be able to tell they have matured musically based on their later stuff. The music is still pretty impressive though, some of the patterns Daron plays are really interesting. Songs like "Suite-Pee", "DDevil", and "Sugar" really shows Daron's skills on a guitar. Overall the sound is hard n heavy and in your face, the way system of a down outta be.

Now Lyrically is where I am impressed! The lyrics are like a dark sence of humor. Songs like "Know", "Soil", "War?", and "Sugar" address the serious topic of death in a very humourous way with some pretty slick catch-phrases but also some meaningful lyrics. An example from "Sugar," "I play russian roulette every day, a man's sport, with a bullet called life, yeah mama called life". Serj sings about war, unethical politics, and religous morals in the most morbid way possible. Vocally I'm also very impressed. Serj and Daron both let out screams I didn't know they were capable of. "Suite-Pee" and "Sugar" really shows off Serj's vocal ability especially. In my opinion the lyrics are what really made this album. It brougt the sound of the album to another level.

Overall this album is pretty amazing. Only 2nd to Mesmerize out of all the System of a down albums in my opinion. "Know", "Sugar", and "Soil" are the most impressive songs on the album. Though I was slightly dissapointed musically, the lyrics madeup for it. If you're a System fan or a fan of prog metal and you don't have this album, I defiantely reccomend you buy it!

Key Master
    sbass12 wrote: i loves soad, and all their albums, including this one, and i love every song.
    +99999
    wildchild6660
    dakota1211 wrote: Soad are amazing!! they were my favorite band for a whole year! and i loved all their songs through out that year but now im getting into more bands.. like MCR ac/dc Mushroomhead. good stuff.
    They've been my second favourite bands for about 5 years now. Since hearing Toxicity.
    EpiExplorer
    ShAvO_LuVr7678
    System of a Down is the most amazing band ever!!!!! I love them soooo much!!!!! SOAD forever!!!!1
    soadguitarfan
    EpiExplorer wrote: all you fools saying that this song is best or that one is, there is no one great song by SOAD. and anyway the ones that are deemed 'good' are called so because they usually have a video or were released and then heavily marketed on. if anything its about the most pressing political message in some songs that makes them good. thats why the few good songs right now are War? Boom! and possibly ADD
    you hypocritical sonofabitch.
    roundwoundsound
    CUBert is the best man. and **** anyone that says mind sucks,cause if you do,your sure as hell not even a real SOAD fan,cause that song is epic