Toxicity review by System of a Down

• Released: Aug 27, 2001
System of a Down: Toxicity

The sound of this album is totally different to what I had been listening to before I stumbled across this album. Daron Malakian has to be one of the really up and coming guitarists with his high speed riffs etc. Serj Tankian is a very different vocalist. He definitely gives out his armenian origin in the way that he delivers the lyrics. Shavo Odadjian the bassist, who has the same birthday as me, maybe doesn't get as much recognition as he should. I admit the album is fairly dominated by Daron's amazing guitaring skills and Serj's odd voice but Shavo does put some major input into the album with some heavy parts which are really quite affective. The drummer John Doloyman uses some very fast and complex drum beats on this album which improve the album. Yet he has one letdown which is he doesn't use double bass drums.

The lyrics that are used on this album are sometimes said to be political, yet not as good as Rage Against The Machine. I do agree some of the lyrics do have some political meaning e.g. Prison Song & Deer Dance. Yet some of the lyrics are quite poignant and personal to Daron & Serj who write the lyrics e.g. Jet Pilot which is about an Armenian Genocide that happened in 1914. Also they even delve into other peoples minds like the song ATWA which is about Charles Manson. The lyrics in my opinion are superb.

This album has to be one of the greatest albums I have ever listened to and is nearly always in my CD player. The great thing about it is that they are all influenced by different things and I think this really comes through in the album. The songs I would recommend are Needles, Forest and Chop Suey. It's amazing, buy it now.