Toxicity review by System of a Down

• Released: Aug 27, 2001
System of a Down: Toxicity

When I first heard toxicity, I thought it was really good. But most of the time, when i hear something good in the first time, it usually means, after a few times, it'll get boring and I wont like it anymore. thats not the case with this album. I've listed to it countless times and i still love it. The drumming in this album was really creative, especially on the song toxicity. They used some very creative beat, not just with drumming, but also guitar and bass and sometimes they put it all together to make it work, on songs like jet pilot, they used that technique to make a latin sounding verse. On some songs, the guitar strokes are incredibly fast and the surprising thing is that its all downstrokes and that makes it even more impressive. And they hung the bass out to dry and some of the songs would suck without the great bass lines. At first, all of the songs sounded the same because its always so low you cant tell. But after a few tries, every song will be completely different and significant among eachother. And at the end theres this really cool, armanian based song. System Of A Down wasnt afraid to experiment with unusual sounds and it sounds hilarious sometimes, espically on bounce. Overall the sound of toxicity is excellent and very long lasting.

Honestly, I don't think theres a better writer in todays simplistic, too- easy-to-write strait forward bland music. I think these guys are some of the best lyricists ever because their songs are really symbolical and abstract filled with deep phylosophical poetry. It's hard to figure out what some of their songs are and those songs also have more than one meaning and it just depends on how you look at it. They also have some songs dedicated to their roots of Armania and they sing about the armanian genocide and you can tell, just by the lyrics, that they are pissed off about it. This is some of the best lyrics written in todays time period, and its very underrated because many people and musicians dont care about lyrics anymore. The lead singer is a great singer, with a very different voice and an unusual choice for heavy metal because he was a trained oprah singer. but being an oprah singer, that just makes him all the more reasons to be a great voice for music. Also he makes these really cool low growls throughout the whole album.

In my opinion, I think on with Toxicity, System Of A Down is up there with Nirvana. These two bands are my all time favorites and I never thought that there would be another band that has as much quality as nirvana until I got into system of a down and this album definately matches nirvana albums. In this album the band has accomplished everything to make a great album: great innovative and creative melodies, great poetic lyrics, and great instrumental talent. This album is definately worth buying and if I lost it, I would freak out if I don't get it again immediately. Honestly, this album has nothin to hate and everything to love.