Toxicity review by System of a Down

• Released: Aug 27, 2001
System of a Down: Toxicity

Toxicity was the real big breakout for SOAD, and theres a lot of good reason for this. I'm a pretty big SOAD fan, and I like a lot of what toxicity had to offer. It was political, rational, and really put together. they really did a good job of picking which songs for there videos as well. "Chop Suey!" was a great song that had a deep meaning and the band as a whole did great. Daron's best work in my opinion was done on this CD. SOAD did a great job of mixing in all kinds of elements for this CD, using hardcore metal ("Jet Pilot," "Deer Dance"), a bit of softer side ("Aerials," "ATWA"), and semi hard rock ("Toxicity," "Chop Suey!"). Shavo did pretty good for bass, with lots of innovative riffs, and john's drumming was spectacular throughout the whole album, especially in "Chop Suey!" and "Toxicity."

Lyric-wise I was impressed by most of the songwriting in the album. in a few of there songs they did a bit to much of just mashing sensless shit but for the most part Serj and Daron did well. Serj really experimented with his voice a lot by screaming and going soft at different times, e.g. "Prison Song." Serj has a great voice that has a lot of talent and I was really surprised at Daron's skills in this album. I didn't think he was a great singer until I heard "Chop Suey!" a few times.

I'd say this was there best album so far, even though Mezmerize gives it a run for its money. The best songs had to be "Prison Song," "Deer Dance," "Chop Suey!" "Toxicity," "Psycho," and "Aerials." If I did lose this CD I probably wouldn't buy it again 'cause I had a b--ch of a time finding it in the first place, and I have it on my computer now. Hopefully "Hypnotize" turns out to be great to.